Upgrading from Flare 7 to Flare 8

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
abaldwin11
Propeller Head

Upgrading from Flare 7 to Flare 8

Post by abaldwin11 »

I didn't see any other post regarding this, sorry if it is a duplicate. I currently use the newest version of Flare 7. I got my download link for the new and improved Flare 8, when I upgrade to 8 does my settings change back to the default or will I be ok not to write all the settings down. The reason I ask is it took a while to get the destination just right and I would hate to have to go through all that again. Another thing would be the review options; among other little things as for the preferences. What I'm thinking is this target is saved in my project, but I thought it would be best to ask first before it is too late.

Thanks for the help!
Last edited by abaldwin11 on Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alex
Oh just try it.... A little pain never hurt anyone.
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Upgrading from Flare 7 to Flare 8

Post by LTinker68 »

You can run v7 and v8 side-by-side, but recommended policy if you're going to work on the project in v8 is to first make a copy of the entire project folder, either using Windows or Flare's built-in zip capability. Keep the backup somewhere in case you need to go back to working on it in v7. I think there were enough significant changes to the back-end of v8 that you're not going to want to try to open a v8 project (or v8-edited project) in v7, so keep that backup in case you need to go back to Flare v7.

When you open the v7 project in v8, any info saved in that project will travel with the project, including the destination settings you specified in the target. What you might lose are some GUI layout settings and other minor things that are related more to Flare than to the project itself.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
abaldwin11
Propeller Head

Post by abaldwin11 »

Thank you very much for your help, will do my upgrade sometime today.
LTinker68 wrote:You can run v7 and v8 side-by-side, but recommended policy if you're going to work on the project in v8 is to first make a copy of the entire project folder, either using Windows or Flare's built-in zip capability. Keep the backup somewhere in case you need to go back to working on it in v7. I think there were enough significant changes to the back-end of v8 that you're not going to want to try to open a v8 project (or v8-edited project) in v7, so keep that backup in case you need to go back to Flare v7.

When you open the v7 project in v8, any info saved in that project will travel with the project, including the destination settings you specified in the target. What you might lose are some GUI layout settings and other minor things that are related more to Flare than to the project itself.
Alex
Oh just try it.... A little pain never hurt anyone.
pelikano
Propeller Head

Post by pelikano »

LTinker68 wrote:.... I think there were enough significant changes to the back-end of v8 that you're not going to want to try to open a v8 project (or v8-edited project) in v7, so keep that backup in case you need to go back to Flare v7.
This is a crucial point, but sounds tentative. Does anybody know for sure about whether you can edit/save a project in 8 and then re-open it in 7, no harm done?

Just curious. Would definitely make backups first.
MinnesotaCory
Propeller Head

Post by MinnesotaCory »

If you create an HTML5 target it will cause Flare 7 to choke on the project.
The voice of experience,
-CK
If you plan to communicate you must prepare to be misunderstood or ignored.
rob hollinger
Propellus Maximus

Post by rob hollinger »

MinnesotaCory wrote:If you create an HTML5 target it will cause Flare 7 to choke on the project.
The voice of experience,
-CK
Its not the HTML5 Target causing the error in V7. Its the HTML5 Skin causing it.
Here is a link explainingn how to avoid this error when going back and forth between versions:
http://kb.madcapsoftware.com/default_CSH.htm#GEN1033F
Rob Hollinger
MadCap Software
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

rhollinger wrote:Its not the HTML5 Target causing the error in V7. Its the HTML5 Skin causing it.
Here is a link explainingn how to avoid this error when going back and forth between versions:
http://kb.madcapsoftware.com/default_CSH.htm#GEN1033F
BTW, the link doesn't work for me, and also the topic doesn't appear to be in the TOC either; however, I found it using the search...
http://kb.madcapsoftware.com/Content/Fl ... _error.htm
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

Dave Lee wrote:BTW, the link doesn't work for me...
Weird. Works for me. Wonder why it wouldn't work for you.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

Same here, link works fine using FF 10.0.2 ESR.
bbolt
Propeller Head

Post by bbolt »

We were using Subversion Tortoise source control version 1.6, and after upgrading to Flare 8, we had to upgrade to Subversion 1.7
tvandawalker
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by tvandawalker »

Same here and Flare 7.2 will not work with Tortoise 1.7, so there is no going back in this case unless you uninstall 1.7, go back to 1.6 and recreate all your local folders.
bbolt
Propeller Head

Post by bbolt »

[I wish that Madcap would open a forum for Flare 8 posts only. My post involves Flare 8 (to which I just upgraded from 7.2) but isn't directly related to the original post.]

I'm having problem with ePub and PDF formats for a project built in Flare 8. Webhelp output from the same project builds without a hitch, as does PDF output using Flare 7.2 with the same project.

Symptom: I'm getting a ton of these errors, such that my project aborts because it runs out of memory

file:///C:/manuals/Documentation/CMS400/Source/ReleaseNotes/Output/epub/Output/Resources/TableStyles/Table.css
CSS: Missing linked stylesheet

The style sheet files are in the correct project folder, and are also in the Output\Web\Resources\TableStyles folder. However, my 7.2 PDF output folder does not contain that folder path -- it only contains the resulting PDF file. So I'm not sure why the epub format is looking for (and choking because it can't find) those .css files. Any insight would be appreciated.
wbrisett
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by wbrisett »

bbolt wrote: Symptom: I'm getting a ton of these errors, such that my project aborts because it runs out of memory

file:///C:/manuals/Documentation/CMS400/Source/ReleaseNotes/Output/epub/Output/Resources/TableStyles/Table.css
CSS: Missing linked stylesheet
I want to make sure we all understand. Your project runs out of memory during a PDF build, or an epub build? (FYI, my experience is regardless of the number of errors generated during the build cycle, they don't contribute to Flare running out of memory).

Wayne
bbolt
Propeller Head

Post by bbolt »

both builds run out of memory