Five Steps to MadCap Flare -- only available until 10/15/17

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
LKupka
Propeller Head

Five Steps to MadCap Flare -- only available until 10/15/17

Post by LKupka »

Greetings!

I thought you might like to know that the current edition of “Five Steps to MadCap Flare” will not be available for purchase after October 15, 2017 (and I'm not planning to release any new editions). So if you want to purchase the current edition, or need another copy, this is a good time to buy one because it is available for purchase until that date. To order, see http://www.northcoastwriters.com/fiddleheadpubs/.

Note: the current (Fourth Edition) book is still a very useful learning tool and resource for new Flare users.

Thank you for all your compliments and support of this book since its first edition in 2009!

Lorraine Kupka

The Fourth Edition of Five Steps to MadCap Flare ” for Flare Version 10 includes a supplement for Flare V11.

The V11 Supplement contains detailed information about these V11 features and how they affect topics covered in "Five Steps to MadCap Flare":
  • - New Build window for building targets concurrently and in the background.
    - Re-designed Spell Check window and new workflow for checking spelling, plus global dictionaries.
    - Global Project Linking: new Delete un-referenced files option.
    - Stylesheet Editor: buttons for viewing Simplified and Advanced views reversed.
    - Cross-reference enhancements: create cross-reference by dragging, default cross-reference formats changed.
    - Enhancements to Word import: import first rows in tables as Flare table header, import linked images, videos, image alt text and descriptions, naming of imported image files.
    - Image enhancements: insert PDF files into output.
    - EPUB enhancements: include dynamic content, new option to enable or disable dynamic content
    Plus more ...
The Fourth Edition contains many new topics from Flare V9 and V10, including the following:
  • - Creating eBooks in MOBI format
    - Responsive output
    - Filtering topic content in the XML Editor by condition tags
    - How undefined condition tags occur and how to fix them
    - New procedures for inserting symbols and special characters and for setting the default quick character
    - XML Editor and Text Editor tabs
    - Previewing topics with a specific page layout
    - Support for right-to-left languages in outputs and in the XML Editor
    - Enhancements to FrameMaker import
    - Dragging and dropping condition tags
    - Dragging and dropping variables
    - Updated images of screens
    - Updated procedures
    - Minor additions and changes based on feedback from readers. Thank you!
    - Plus more ...
To order, see http://www.northcoastwriters.com/fiddleheadpubs/. Available until October 15, 2017.
Last edited by LKupka on Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:37 am, edited 7 times in total.
Lorraine Kupka
Certified MadCap Advanced Developer
Author of Five Steps to MadCap Flare
ccardimon
Propellus Maximus

Re: Five Steps to MadCap Flare book - updated for Flare V8

Post by ccardimon »

Thank you! I had no idea.
Craig

Lost in Disturbia
sdcinvan
Propellus Maximus

Re: Five Steps to MadCap Flare V8 book with V9 Supplement

Post by sdcinvan »

LKupka wrote:I am pleased to announce that the Third Edition of Five Steps to MadCap Flare — for Flare Version 8 now includes a Supplement for Flare V9.

The Third Edition contains many additions and changes, including the following:
  • - the new Flare ribbon interface
    - creating eBooks in EPUB format
    - HTML5
    - global project linking
    - information about accessibility checks and tagged PDF files
    - file tag feature (including how to create your own file tag sets and file tags)
    - creating project reports from data collected by the Internal Analyzer
    - importing CHM files
    - more procedures for working with tables (converting text to tables and vice versa, sorting and merging tables, cutting and pasting table content, and repeating table captions)
    - additional planning worksheets
    - suggestions and best practices for managing and sharing content in a team environment
    - more keyboard shortcuts for working with Flare
    - updated images of screens
Flare V9 has a very minor impact on the content in Five Steps to MadCap Flare. The V9 Supplement contains information about these V9 features:
  • - XML Editor and Text Editor enhancements (Split View; synchronized text edits, content selection, and navigation; syntax coding; and viewing a topic with a specific layout)
    - Page Layout Editor enhancements (new page types, new options in the TOC properties dialog, padding chapters with empty pages, print medium use in Frame Contents window)
    - Enhancements to inserting characters and symbols (new Character dialog, changes to the Character drop-down list, new procedures for inserting symbols and special characters and for setting the default quick character)
    - Changes to the Target Editor’s Conditional Text tab and advanced conditional expressions
    - Right-to-left language support
    - Enhancements for EPUB3
    - Creating MOBI output
    - Enhancements to FrameMaker import
    - plus more …

To order, see http://www.northcoastwriters.com/fiddleheadpubs/.
This book and V9 Supplement are available now.

Hello Lorraine,

Thank you for writing this book. I ordered it about a month ago but I am finally getting around to reviewing the content. It is exceptionally well written and well organized - kudos!

One question, where is the v9 supplement?
Shawn in Vancouver, Canada
Main tools used: Flare 11.x, InDesign, Google Docs, Lectora, Captivate.
Report bugs: https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback/bugs.aspx ▪ Feature requests: https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx[/i]
LKupka
Propeller Head

Post by LKupka »

Hi Shawn.

The V9 Supplement was attached to the email I sent you when the book shipped, but I don't mind resending it. Just email me about it and I'll attach the supplement to my reply. (You can email me directly from my website--shown below in my email signature.) Thank you for the compliments. I'm delighted that you like Five Steps!

Lorraine
Lorraine Kupka
sdcinvan
Propellus Maximus

Post by sdcinvan »

Good morning Lorraine,

I found the email attachment, thank you.

Best regards,
Shawn
Shawn in Vancouver, Canada
Main tools used: Flare 11.x, InDesign, Google Docs, Lectora, Captivate.
Report bugs: https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback/bugs.aspx ▪ Feature requests: https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx[/i]
LKupka
Propeller Head

Post by LKupka »

You're welcome Shawn.
Lorraine Kupka
Kat se gat
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: NEW EDITION of Five Steps to MadCap Flare -- for V10

Post by Kat se gat »

Lorraine,

I remember buying the v8 book a good while ago and how you had to gently berate me like a school mistress looking down her pince-nez for asking too many questions. :D

Is your book for v10 available as download only, say in PDF format?

The v8 paper book arrived quickly enough so I don't mind ordering the v10 book.
Peter

Dad to Rara, Oddzuki, and Ginger Nutkin.
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

I second the request for an electronic version -- $24 just for shipping does seem a bit steep, and I'd find electronic more easily searchable too. Yeah, so I won't be able to read it in the bath unless I risk my e-reader, but I can live with that! :-)
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx
Msquared
Propellus Maximus

Post by Msquared »

Yep, those of us in the UK would very much like an electronic version if possible.

Also, I work part at home and part in the office, and I get fed up carting books backward and forward between locations, and never having the right book in the right place. My Microsoft Manual of Style and CSS, The Definitive Guide come with me at all times. Everything else has to stay in one place or the other as my rucksack isn't big enough and my body isn't strong enough to carry any more.

You are in good company though, as the Microsoft Manual of Style used to be available electronically, and isn't any more, Did you intend to take your lead from Microsoft? ;-)
Marjorie

My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dogs already think I am.
LKupka
Propeller Head

Post by LKupka »

Hi folks.

I completely understand your points and the benefits of having a book in electronic format. I’ve considered a PDF or e-book version of "Five Steps to MadCap Flare" but haven’t done it for various reasons, primarily because of the risk of significant sales losses due to illegal copying of the electronic formats. You may think there isn’t much risk of that for a book published in such small numbers, but I have already found one company on the web advertising an electronic version of "Five Steps to MadCap Flare." It’s actually just a copy of the Look Inside PDF from my website, but I have no doubt that once I published an electronic version of the entire book, it would soon be available on many such unscrupulous sites.

I’m also a one-person business doing technical writing full-time. I maintain the book and handle book orders outside of my technical writing business, and it takes a fair amount of time and effort. Because this book serves a niche market, sales volumes aren’t high. If my sales dropped even a small amount it wouldn’t be economically viable for me to keep the book updated or even available at all.

I know that shipping costs can be expensive, especially to customers outside the U.S. But please keep in mind that I’m only shipping a very small number of books (one or two at a time), so I don’t qualify for any shipping discounts. And I charge only the shipping cost; I don’t add on a handling fee. I know the shipping cost is an impediment to overseas sales and I wish I could reduce it, but unfortunately, I can’t.

Thank you for your interest in this book. I’m glad to know that readers find it so useful.

Lorraine
Lorraine Kupka
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

I personally know Lorraine, and I can attest to Five Steps being her labor of love. She has put in thousands of hours on the book, and I hope that we can all do our part to help keep it a viable enterprise for her by which the Flare community continues to benefit.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
atomdocs
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by atomdocs »

Just ordered the book, looking forward to reading it :)
Tom
Flare 2022, Capture 7
Kat se gat
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Kat se gat »

Lorraine,

I agree with your point about the possibility of your book being "stolen" through t'internet. I really didn't mind paying the shipping costs when I bought the v8 manual. In fact, it's sitting next to me now that I'm picking up Flare again. Like a circus chimp I have to retrain myself!

Once I've been through the v8 book again I'll ask my Minister of Finance (Wife Division) for permission to buy the upgrade manual. :D
Peter

Dad to Rara, Oddzuki, and Ginger Nutkin.
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

Lorraine, I wasn't complaining about you, just about how expensive it is to ship things from the US into the UK. I could really do with something like this, so when I've paid the bills I'll see what I can find in the bottom of the purse to buy it, as I'm a contractor so can't get "the boss" to cough up for it.

Thanks for your hard work!
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx
LKupka
Propeller Head

Post by LKupka »

ChoccieMuffin wrote:Lorraine, I wasn't complaining about you, ...
Not a problem, I didn't take it that way at all. I just thought it might be helpful if I explained the situation.
Lorraine Kupka
atomdocs
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by atomdocs »

Book received today, it looks great, thanks Lorraine. I have already started reading.
Tom
Flare 2022, Capture 7
LKupka
Propeller Head

Post by LKupka »

atomdocs wrote:Book received today, it looks great, thanks Lorraine. I have already started reading.
Great! Glad you got it so quickly. Yours was my first book shipment to Thailand.
Lorraine Kupka
atomdocs
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by atomdocs »

Very fast delivery, thanks Lorraine. If I meet any other Flare users here I'll pass on the info about your great book. I'd like to start a user group here.
Tom
Flare 2022, Capture 7
LKupka
Propeller Head

Post by LKupka »

atomdocs wrote:I'd like to start a user group here.
The person to talk to about starting a user group is Nita Beck. She started the very first Flare User Group (in my area) and she has lots of good advice about it. We've found it to be a really fun and engaging exchange of tips, tricks, and knowledge gleaned from working in the trenches.

Good luck!
Lorraine Kupka
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

Hey Lorraine! Thanks for the shout-out, dear friend.

For those interested in starting a Flare user group, I gave a webinar in July 2013 outlining how I started and continue to manage the group in my and Lorraine's town (not that everyone has to do so my way, but rather just to offer ideas). MadCap's recorded webinars are here: https://www.madcapsoftware.com/resource ... inars.aspx. Scroll down until you find "Calling All Propeller-Heads" and then click the View Recording button. And I'm always happy to talk to anyone interested in launching a group. For anyone thinking of starting one, be sure to tell MadCap so that they will post your contact information on their Community page here: http://www.madcapsoftware.com/community/. There is a button at the bottom of that page with which one can contact MadCap with your details.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
docgirlpgh
Jr. Propeller Head

Re: Five Steps to MadCap Flare now includes V11 Supplement

Post by docgirlpgh »

Hi, I'm trying to learn Flare on my own (not sure the company will pay for training for me). My background is about 18 yrs experience with FrameMaker, experience with WebWorks ePub and RoboHelp...so I think I sort of understand the general concepts of Flare..but wow, Flare has MANY layers that my head is spinning. At work, I have Flare 12 installed and I'm using FrameMaker 12 and WebWorks ePub 2016. I'd like to import the FrameMaker content into Flare and use Flare for all PDF and online / HTML 5 output. My question is the 5 Steps book is a few years old and includes a V11 supplement, but will that help me with Flare 12? Also, does the book provide baby steps to getting to my goal of importing FrameMaker files into Flare and producing the output that I need? Thank you for any help that you can provide. ....
StevnRichardson
Jr. Propeller Head

Re: Five Steps to MadCap Flare -- only available until 10/15

Post by StevnRichardson »

After reading your thread, I would love to read this edition.
marisoul
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by marisoul »

Can anyone help me out with an ONLINE version of the APPENDICES of this wonderful book? Thank you very much in advance!
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

marisoul wrote:Can anyone help me out with an ONLINE version of the APPENDICES of this wonderful book? Thank you very much in advance!
The author of this copyrighted book is a personal friend of mine and is now retired. To the best of my knowledge, the author never published an online version (ePub or PDF) of the book, and anyone offering an online version will be doing so as an infringement of the author's copyright.
Nita