Images in Topics and Source Control

This forum is for all Flare issues related to using Source Control.
winchy
Jr. Propeller Head

Images in Topics and Source Control

Post by winchy »

I am just starting to get my head around source control. Most of my topics have images. When you check in a topic which includes images do you also have to check in the individual images contained within the topic? We are only two tech writers so I just want to use source control as a way of preventing both of us opening and updating the same topic. Our Flare directory is being backed up so I am confident we would never lose any of the images. Can someone experienced in the above situation with lots of images spell out best practice of handling this? Thanks in advance - from the newbie to source control.
i-tietz
Propellus Maximus

Re: Images in Topics and Source Control

Post by i-tietz »

You don't have to check images in, but it's the most comfortable way to work. You simply import the project from Source Control or perform a Get Latest Version and don't have to worry about missing files or fiels in the wrong place.
Otherwise you would have to copy new or updated images into your project from some other source. That's pretty error-prone ...
Inge____________________________
"I need input! - Have you got input?"
techwriter31
Propellus Maximus

Post by techwriter31 »

If possible, I'd recommend integrating the source control program with Flare. It makes things much easier!
Kellie
alaltenburg
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by alaltenburg »

I agree that having the entire flare project integrated to Source Control is the way to go. When I update images, I just check out the resources folder and save a new image. The new image automatically updates within Flare. So easy.
The Moon is the first milestone on the road to the stars.

— Arthur C. Clarke