Subversion - Nullable Object

This forum is for all Flare issues related to using Source Control.
ttmatt
Propeller Head

Subversion - Nullable Object

Post by ttmatt »

When I try to "Get Latest Version" for folders that have been conditioned I receive the error "nullable object must have a value". I am running Flare 8 with subversion. Anyone else get this error? How can I resolve\prevent it?
MarinaMichaels
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Subversion - Nullable Object

Post by MarinaMichaels »

I just started getting the same error yesterday. I'm having a few other issues with SVN, which I have been getting around by closing Flare and using Tortoise to do the check ins and clean up. That worked for most of the files that weren't checking in. But I don't know how to fix the nullable object error.

Are you only having the problem on folders that have conditions applied? I have some files with conditions applied, but I don't have any folders with conditions applied.
Michael Cohen
Propeller Head

Post by Michael Cohen »

I am having the exact same error with Flare 8 and Subversion.

I had to remove the project from source control because it wouldn't let me check any files in (Flare would hang and I had to close the Flare process manually). Thinking that I would try over from scratch, I removed all files from source control, making sure I have all the latest content, but Flare/Subversion won't let me rebind the project, telling me that it's missing a specific tmp file, which resides on a drive not on my local computer. Peculiar and annoying, so I'm done with source control until I can resolve this issue.

I love Flare but I'm learning to despise source control with Subversion. Our Subversion sits on a separate server, which is not subject to our control. That is likely part of the problem but honestly, I want to focus on creating good documentation and not have to worry about source control. It should be easier than this.
Michael Cohen
Propeller Head

Post by Michael Cohen »

Well we solved OUR nullable object problem. In our case, a reboot of the server on which Subversion resides did the trick.

Rebooting. Isn't that silly? But it worked.
MarinaMichaels
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by MarinaMichaels »

Hurray!

My problem went away as well; possibly because of a reboot, though I don't know.

I love Flare and I like Subversion, but SVN is definitely not very intuitive and can be a bit cranky. Sometimes I go outside Flare to resolve problems using Tortoise, and that works. And sometimes I have found that by accessing the pending files panel in help (instead of just using the ribbon check-in command), Flare and SVN will play nice and meekly check files in that Flare (or SVN?) was balking at before.

For now (fingers crossed), everything seems to be fine.
CatVancouver
Propeller Head

Post by CatVancouver »

I am also having the "nullable object" problem today. It has something to do with Subversion. However, 1 of my other projects, which is also under Subversion source control is NOT borked so I am loathe to tamper with the SVN installation.

I added a huge number of files to this very large project yesterday. Usually Flare 8 works very well with SVN and manages the 'commits' well. I went out of Flare and into SVN (*side tip for SVN and Flare users - NEVER have them open at the same time, especially in pre 8 Flare). The Flare 8 problem was evident in that there were files that should have been committed but weren't. I committed them and went back. However, I'm still getting the error and the project is unusable until I figure it out.
I don't think it has anything to do with conditionalization as I did nothing new in that area yesterday.
I also tend to wait a day or so, because, in our installation somewhere, there is a lag applied. I don't know why (and the Dev guys think I'm making it up) but sometimes, the next day, it's all fine, as if by magic.

Any suggestions would be welcome.
TeSol
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by TeSol »

Hi,

I have been using Flare 7.2 and SVN and all along there has been no problem. However, since yesterday SVN is giving problems. I am getting all the following messages at various points in time -

1) Nullable object must have a value
2) Object reference not set to an instance of an object
3) File in ......is locked

I have tried deleting the files and recreating them but that hasn't helped. Our deadline is round the corner and I am stuck since I am unable to check in the files.

Any help in this regard would be appreciated.

Many thanks.
MarinaMichaels
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by MarinaMichaels »

I haven't gotten the nullable object error message for a few months, but since yesterday, Flare, Tortoise, and SVN just haven't been able to get their act together. I wasn't able to check in files, and I was having all manner of unpleasantness. I had just done a lot of work and I didn't want to lose it.

I ended up checking the entire project out into a new location, then copying the files I've worked on since yesterday over into the new location, then doing another SVN commit. There were still two files that were reported as being "locked by another user" (i.e., me). For those two, I used Tortoise to lock the files, selected the option to steal the locks, then unlocked them. It also turned out that some files that should have been checked in long ago (and that I hadn't touched in over a month) weren't in latest checkout, so I needed to use Tortoise to add those as well.

I can't be much help otherwise.

Good luck!
txcyclist
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by txcyclist »

I got this error yesterday, and came to the forums for a solution. We use SVN, and I use Tortoise to manage my SVN files in the Windows Explorer when needed. In my case, the nullable object error apparently stemmed from moving and renaming files. Flare doesn't always play nicely with moving and renaming. This was one of those times. After beating my head against the wall a few times, I decided to look at the situation using Tortoise in the WIndows Explorer. I selected the directory in which the file was stored, and I used Tortoise to check for modifications. Tortoise showed there was a conflict in the directory. I compared both versions of the file with the conflict. I selected the version I determined was the correct version in the correct location, and the conflict resolved. I opened Flare, and no longer received the nullable object error.

I realize this explanation is a bit vague. The issue occurred yesterday under a deadline, and I wasn't able to properly document my steps. If it happens again, I'll take notes, and then edit this post or write another.