Working with transaltors & conditional text

This Forum is for general issues about MadCap Lingo
LindaW
Propeller Head

Working with transaltors & conditional text

Post by LindaW »

Just wondering if anyone has encountered this, or found a solution. I have sent my Webhelp files (a Lingo bundle) to the translator that our company uses to translate our application interface - this is preferable because they are familiar with our industry terminology. However, they do not use LIngo, and they are having trouble with my instructions for conditional text - for some reason, they can't use my conditional tags - especially when they are tags within tags. i've tried putting comment tags in the files (<!---->)
but the translators are still saying that their software is not recognizing the tags, and is picking it up as text. Has anyone else had problems in dealing with translators that do not use Lingo? I'm ready to look for a translator that does use LIngo - I thought the translation would be well underway by now, but they are still trying to analyze my files for a quote.
techwriter31
Propellus Maximus

Re: Working with transaltors & conditional text

Post by techwriter31 »

We use conditional text often, and our translation vendor has never had a problem with it (they use Trados).
Kellie
Fedja
Propeller Head

Re: Working with transaltors & conditional text

Post by Fedja »

If they use Trados, you can define "locked" tags by creating a custom project settings .ini file for Trados Tageditor.

It's a bit complicated, and you'll need someone who has a basic knowledge of XML and possibly Trados, but once you have your .ini file done, you can use it for any project from there on.