newly installed fonts

This forum is for all Flare related Tips and Tricks.
Have a tip or trick you use while working in Flare? Share it here.
mgharvey2
Jr. Propeller Head

newly installed fonts

Post by mgharvey2 »

What do I need to do to make Flare aware of newly installed fonts.
I am on version 7.2.1.
I installed Univers 47 Condensed Light.
I am editing a decoration frame on a Page Layout and the new font is not available in the Font Family Picker.
sfoley
Propeller Head

Re: newly installed fonts

Post by sfoley »

mgharvey2 wrote:What do I need to do to make Flare aware of newly installed fonts.
I am on version 7.2.1.
I installed Univers 47 Condensed Light.
I am editing a decoration frame on a Page Layout and the new font is not available in the Font Family Picker.
First--if you haven't already--restart Flare.
If that doesn't work, remember that Flare doesn't properly recognize all font types:

- It usually recognizes TrueType (.ttf) fonts.
- It sometimes recognizes OpenType (.otf) fonts.
- I've never seen it recognize Type 1 fonts.

To identify the kind of font you have, open C:\Windows\Fonts\ and double-click something; the window that appears will have the font name, and then the type in parentheses. For example, "Arial (TrueType)".

If your new font is Type 1 or OpenType, you can use FontForge (open-source, but Linux or OS X only) or a similar application to convert the font.
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

This query comes up every so often. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but if the font is an Open Type font, Flare can't use it (due to a shortcoming in the .NET framework).

Here are some of those other threads:
http://forums.madcapsoftware.com/viewto ... 10&t=10856
http://forums.madcapsoftware.com/viewto ... =6&t=14427
http://forums.madcapsoftware.com/viewto ... 10&t=10675
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
mgharvey2
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by mgharvey2 »

Thanks for info! I appreciate your help.
Msquared
Propellus Maximus

Post by Msquared »

Does anyone know if this is still an issue? We've just been rebranded (again) and I need to use Gotham Book for headers and footers at least. This is an Open Type font. Word is happy, but Flare isn't. This doesn't seem very open to me. :-(
Marjorie

My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dogs already think I am.
GDonn
Propeller Head

Post by GDonn »

I'm running v11...does anyone know if this is still an issue? I recently installed some client fonts for their branding and I'm having issues. Only one of the variations of each of the fonts show available in Flare (the wrong ones, of course). One of the fonts is unique to the client and they are being very particular about what can and can't be used.
Cleardata
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by Cleardata »

GDonn wrote:I'm running v11...does anyone know if this is still an issue? I recently installed some client fonts for their branding and I'm having issues. Only one of the variations of each of the fonts show available in Flare (the wrong ones, of course). One of the fonts is unique to the client and they are being very particular about what can and can't be used.
Ive had issues installing client's fonts in the past, i think they had custom built fonts tho...
Andy works for a company called Cleardata - Document Scanning Services & Cloud Document Management Company