Capture Image Standards

This Forum is for General Issues about Capture
hillaryfay
Propeller Head

Capture Image Standards

Post by hillaryfay »

I am just wondering if anyone cares to share examples of profiles that they use in Capture? What works best for what medium... etc..

I had an issue with setting the print image DPI to 300 in the Flare Print setting. The images would look great when printed but when viewed on a computer screen the PDF images looked fuzzy.

The best compromise I could find is in the settings below. If anyone else has a suggestion please let me know.

Default:
Image Effects
- Background Scale: 1.7
- Blur Factor: 100 (still doesn't blur quite as much as I would like)
- Shade Factor: 5 (don't really use this setting right now)
Format
- PNG
- Color Depth: Default
- Print DPI: 96 (Why are there two print DPI settings?)
Flare Print
- Format: PNG
- Color Depth: Default
- Print DPI: 200
tschüss!
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Re: Capture Image Standards

Post by SteveS »

Hi,

The bluriness you are experiencing might be a combination of your 1.7 scaling and 200 dpi.

When you make a screen capture from a Windows machine the image is captured at 96 dpi. On a Mac its 72 dpi. To get the best output using a printer, images can be displayed at 300 or even 600 dpi. The problem is when rendering images, the 'dots' that were captured at 96 dpi are displayed at 300 dpi (or whatever output resolution you are using), making the image 1/3 the size.

This isn't a problem when capturing images as such, but if you're capturing the user interface you end up trying to fine tune the amount of resizing with the number of dots. Result, invariably, is a blurred image. I always capture user elements at 96dpi and print using the same, no resizing means the image is clear as it was on the screen.

HTH
Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.
hillaryfay
Propeller Head

Re: Capture Image Standards

Post by hillaryfay »

The bluriness you are experiencing might be a combination of your 1.7 scaling and 200 dpi.
Yes, previously I was capturing at 96 with no re-scaling and the print DPI was 300 and they were coming out blurry in the PDF.

The problem I have, is if i have the DPI set at 96 for both Format and Flare Print options, the images are VERY large when printing the PDFs.

So far, the settings I listed are the best compromise I can find between optimizing for PDF for viewing on screen and print.

Thanks for the suggestion though!
tschüss!