Disappearing files w. SVN

This forum is for all Flare issues related to using Source Control.
artc
Jr. Propeller Head

Disappearing files w. SVN

Post by artc »

My team is working in multi-author mode; four or five writers working in a 3,000+ file project out of SVN.

We're having occasional problems with new files being created in Flare 8, integrated into the project, committed and checked in from Flare, no errors... and the files not showing up in SVN.

Anyone else seen this? Any ideas on what to check?

TIA,
Art
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Disappearing files w. SVN

Post by Nita Beck »

We have seen issues when we've added a file to the project but Flare fails to see it as needing to be added to SVN. We may *think* we've checked it in, but when we look in the Content Explorer, we see that the file is present but there is no source control icon associated with it... no green plus symbol, no red check mark symbol, no padlock symbol. The file exists only in the working copy of the author who created it, but no one else has it 'cause it never made it into SVN. Unfortunately, we see this problem fairly regularly, which is irritating.

We have two workarounds, each of which works reliably:

-- Upon adding a file with Flare, we immediately check it into SVN, even if we haven't yet done anything with the file. At least we know that SVN knows about it and that Flare is now tracking it properly.
OR
-- Upon realizing that Flare isn't seeing a new file as an Add, we close the Flare project and use TortoiseSVN to Add the file to SVN. We then restart Flare, which now sees the file as being checked out. (Beats me why.) We then check it in with Flare. Now the other authors can get the file out of SVN.

Hope this helps.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
artc
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by artc »

Thanks, Nita!
Sound like enough of a problem to open a bug. ;- )

Art
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

artc wrote:Sound like enough of a problem to open a bug. ;- )
Oh, I reported it all right, ages ago. It's definitely a bug.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
artc
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by artc »

Talked to support and they found the bug (#53128), but it apparently hasn't been triaged or prioritzed yet -- it doesn't have a priority associated with it although "the development team is aware of it." I pointed out that it was causing a loss of data, which for a lot of companies would make it a P1 or P2. The support rep said she'd update/resubmit it.

Art
Last edited by artc on Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Penthesilea
Propeller Head

Post by Penthesilea »

We have been experiencing this same sort of problem. In essence, if you don't do your subversion action right away, you end up with problems that you can only resolve by using the native Subversion commands in windows explorer. I will report this as a bug as well.

I was glad to see other are experiencing this as well. I'll stop looking for a problem with my configuration.

~ Penthesilea
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

I'm working with a client for which there are three writers using Flare. All three of us experience this problem (in fact, it just happened to me, again, within the last five minutes). One of the client's staff writers reported this as a bug ages ago, too, at the time I did.

Yes, please submit your own bug reports so this bug can "rise to the top".
Nita
Penthesilea
Propeller Head

This is a known issue, bug #54585 submitted

Post by Penthesilea »

From MadCap support:

As soon as the Refresh button is clicked or allow Flare to do a Refresh on the Source Control - It loses the file is an "Add". You have to use SVN to perform the add so Flare will see that its part of the project and in Source Control.

The current work-around is to complete the ADD as soon as the file is created and/or renamed.

If you find the ADD icon has already disappeared, close the project and open Windows Explorer to where the project is stored. Locate and Delete the SourceControl folder. Open the project and when prompted to create the database, click yes. You should then be able to add the files from Content Explorer or Pending Check Ins windows.

So you can stop fiddling with your configuration; the problem is not you or your project.

Hope this helps for now.

~ Penthesilea
wick_60010
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by wick_60010 »

What does a red check mark next to a topic MEAN anyways???
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

Welcome to the forums! :)
wick_60010 wrote:What does a red check mark next to a topic MEAN anyways???
It means that the file is in a modified state, that it is more recent than the version of the file that is in the Subversion repository. You can learn more by starting here, in the section titled “Source Control Icons”: https://help.madcapsoftware.com/flare20 ... ersion.htm
Nita