Solution for an error when using "Install TM"

This Forum is for general issues about MadCap Lingo
sammiegreene
Jr. Propeller Head

Solution for an error when using "Install TM"

Post by sammiegreene »

Thought I would post this solution in case anyone experiences the same issue I did and is looking on the forums for an answer.

It seems SQL Server Experss 2008 and Visual Studio 2012 do not play nicely together, and despite it looking like all of the components are running actually the Server Browser is not being recognised by SQL. As a result I got an error message when I opened Lingo and clicked Translate > Install TM (the first instruction in the tutorial on how to create a translation package file). Unfortunately the message did not give much of an idea what the problem was.

The solution to the problem was to install SQL Server Express 2008 SP1.

I experienced this error after installing Lingo 6 for the first time. I had downloaded SQL Server Express 2008 from the link on the Madcap download page, then installed Lingo 6, and then the dictionary. The first command I tried to run was Translate > Install TM and I had an error message pop up in a message window (a long one starting with "Problem(s) in background thread..."). Using (Windows) Component Services it looked like all the components were running, but looking at SQL Server Configuration Manager the SQL Server Browser was not showing up under SQL Server Services. Instead an error message was displayed. This is despite the fact that in SQL Server Management Studio I could browse to an instance. After installing SP1 the Server Browser turned up in SQL Server Configuration Manager, and I was able to get to the correct form and choose a TM in Lingo.