Updating Contribuor Template in a Contributor document

This Forum for all general issues about Contributor
berniexmeyer
Propeller Head

Updating Contribuor Template in a Contributor document

Post by berniexmeyer »

If our template person modifies our Contributor (.mccot( template and sends it to me, and I replace the preveious version of the template with the newer one, when I open an existing Contributor (.mcco) document, it does not appear to have recognized the changes in the new version of the Template. I cannot find any explicit command for "refreshing" the Template reference, either. If I start a brand new .mcco document based on the updated Template, THEN the changes DO appear. But then I would have to COPY AND PASTE ALL MY CONTENT from the existing .mcco document into the new one. That can't be what Madcap Intended! Is there some way of "refreshing" the Template reference so that the changes are reflected in an existing Contributor .mcco document?
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Updating Contribuor Template in a Contributor document

Post by Nita Beck »

In MadCap's paradigm, a template is simply a starting place. You see the new stuff when you create a new .mcco document because it is starting from that new template.

A Contributor template (and a Flare template too) is not something that is associated with topics, as a stylesheet or a master page might be associated. It's not like a Word template that can be applied to existing Word documents, or a template in RoboHelp that can be applied to existing topics. A template isn't referenced in source topics so there is nothing to "refresh."

I know my answer doesn't help you...
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
berniexmeyer
Propeller Head

Re: Updating Contribuor Template in a Contributor document

Post by berniexmeyer »

Thanks, Nita, for the quick response.
- Bernie