How to capture drop down menus in Capture?

This Forum is for General Issues about Capture
LynnH
Propeller Head

How to capture drop down menus in Capture?

Post by LynnH »

I am new to Capture (a long time user of SnagIt). Can someone tell me if Capture can easily capture a drop down menu along with the menu bar? This is what I am trying to accomplish and I am SURE others are already doing this. I have struggled with this for 2 days and I can't figure it out.
drop down menu.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
=============================
I will finish what I sta
=============================
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Re: How to capture drop down menus in Capture?

Post by SteveS »

Hi Lynn,

Welcome to the forums.

Capture doesn't have the Capture menu with time delay feature that Snagit offers.

If you wish you can add a feature request here http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx. I must admit having some difficulties with Snagit and menus in Windows 7 so I've changed my workflow in Snagit to something to the one I use for Capture.

When I'm doing anything like you describe I capture the whole window. When taking screenshots I configure the client machine with a plain grey or white desktop, turn off aero, and use a light blue colour for windows etc.

I have to do this anyway, as we like to keep an unedited image in case we need to make changes.

I then edit the image using rectangles with no border and the same colour as the window background. The rectangles mask the unwanted content. I then crop the window to size. I hate to admit I then take the .png file, open it in Snagit, and apply the torn edge effect, Capture's version of a torn edge sucks!

HTH
Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.
DocuWil
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by DocuWil »

Go to Tools and in the menu Options select the Tab Capture.
Now you can set the check box Enable Time Delay.
If you now capture the program waits this amount of seconds. Within that time you can open your drop-down list.

I do this for years now and no problem at all.
Wil Veenstra

Documentation and Training Centre
Infologic Nederland
(Using Flare 11.1.2, Capture 7.0.0 and Mimic 7.0.0 in Windows 10 64-bit)
jdw2465
Propeller Head

Post by jdw2465 »

Love that Delay Capture is now in Capture v6. But what surprises me is that with the "tight integration" between Flare 9 and Capture 6, the delay feature does not appear to be part of the screen capture workflow from within Flare! So I am back to leaving Flare, opening Capture, taking my required time delay screen shot to capture a menu, saving the file, and then going back to Flare to import the image...this opposed to the great integration of placing my cursor in Flare and just clicking the add new screen shot option.

If this is possible in v6, please, someone, set me straight. If not, I'll definitely add it as an enhancement request. To me, without it, Capture is not truly integrated with Flare as capturing changing UI elements in the product I'm documenting is an all-too common requirement.
Derek

DocuWil
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by DocuWil »

jdw2465 wrote:Love that Delay Capture is now in Capture v6.
Former versions did have this option also.

And indeed it is not part of capturing in Flare9.
That's a pity and could be added in the Options. I use it a lot.
Wil Veenstra

Documentation and Training Centre
Infologic Nederland
(Using Flare 11.1.2, Capture 7.0.0 and Mimic 7.0.0 in Windows 10 64-bit)
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Post by SteveS »

Hmm, I tried this and found if Capture is initiated thgrough Flare it ignores the delay...

Bug report time...

https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback/bugs.aspx
Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.