translating English index into Japanese

This Forum is for general issues about MadCap Lingo
fchan
Propeller Head

translating English index into Japanese

Post by fchan »

I'd like to have an index of our PDF document translated from English to Japanese. The original document was written in Flare and then packaged by Lingo. Our translator uses Trados to translate. They said that in order for index terms to be ordered phonetically in Japanese, each index term has to be enclosed by two tags. In Dita, the <indexterm> and <index-sort-as> tags support this. But the XLIFF file of the index generated by Lingo doesn't show two tags, and Madcap tech support says Lingo doesn't support this feature (i.e., sorting index entries phonetically). Are there Flare users who are faced with the same issue? Is there a workaround (e.g., by hand editing the XLIFF file)? Thanks.
jasonsmith
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: translating English index into Japanese

Post by jasonsmith »

Flare now supports the "index-sort-as" functionality. This is accomplished using an Index Link Set file (File > New > Index Link Set). Within this file, Index Keywords can be assigned an identifier that is used to determine their order in the printed index. Previously we had this problem when trying to generate a PinYin index for a Chinese translation. A provisional workflow will now be as follows:
1) Send project for translation (Index.liindexmap_XXXX.xlf is translated into Chinese)
2) Generate Index Link Set file (flixl) from the translated Index.liindexmap_XXXX.xlf file.
The fastest, most elegant and foolproof way to do this is using an .xsl transformation (I can post the XML if anyone is interested), otherwise you have to copy the entries from the Index window)
3) Either send the .flixl file for "translation" from Chinese to PinYin or use an online Chinese to PinYin converter to enter the PinYin "translations" direct into the Flare project.