Questions about capture images and translation

This Forum is for General Issues about Capture
Tony
Propeller Head

Questions about capture images and translation

Post by Tony »

Hi,

I am using Flare 9.1 and Capture 6.0 to produce webhelp2 and PDF outputs.
I was really happy to find that I could single source my screenshots, and even use object layers to have cropped images in my PDFs and uncropped images in my webhelp outouts.
This of course is due to the fact that Capture uses *.props files to store information about the images.
But after some investigation, I think that there might be a problem regarding translation of these images.
My source files and images will be translated into several other languages and new translated outputs will be created fom the translated sources.
If I understand correctly, the *.props file actually contains all the binary data of the original file == the original screenshot in English.
So when the originial image file is replaced with a translated image file taken by the translation team - the original props file will no longer be valid (it will still contain the English image).
Since I am doing all kinds of funky things using Capture and these props files - I dont expect the translators to know or understand how to do this for the translated images (they probably will not even use Capture).
So my question is, what is the flow for translation? Does this mean that for all images with a props file I will have to use the File > Recapture Image option and replace the binary data in the props file?
Seems like a lot of work to me. Especially if I have to do it one by one for every single image. Is there not a better solution?

Regards,

Tony
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Questions about capture images and translation

Post by Nita Beck »

Hi Tony,

There's a command in Capture with which one can REPLACE the background image, so the English background image could be replaced with, say, the French background image, and then the callouts could be translated into French.

I know a Flare super-user at a translation company. I'll ask her to weigh in here to offer advice from the translation vendor's perspective.

TTFN
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
alt_jennifer
Propeller Head

Post by alt_jennifer »

Hello! I'm the person Nita was talking about :)

Well the first issue to determine is: is the software translated or going to be translated during the project? If no, if the software is staying in English (as some people do), then the only thing that has to change in the Capture images during translation is the callouts. The English screenshot and effects would all stay the same. Even if the translation vendor does not have or use Capture, they might be able to process the .props file through their translation tool. It's just an XML file, so a vendor that can create a custom XML filter should be able to process it. (Except of course, there are certain instances when Capture inserts code that looks like goobledy-gook instead of the text... that's not really translatable, but there are always ways to work around this with savvy vendors.) In this case, the translation vendor or you, whoever has to do the Capture editing, only has to adjust the text boxes that already contain the translated callouts.

If the software is or is going to be translated, then the background images do have to be replaced by screenshots taken in the translated software. Many translation vendors offer taking screenshots as a service, so you have the option of letting the vendor do that. (If you have any scripts or tips that you used to get the English screenshots, it's helpful to pass those on to vendors. Otherwise, they'll just figure it out on their own.) Even if the vendor doesn't use Capture; even if they just take the localized screenshot that you have to swap out in Capture, it's still a help.

If you've used a bunch of fancy Capture effects, things could get tricky. For instance, highlighting (with zoom or blurry effects, etc) or conditioning specific portions of a screenshot might have to be tweaked in the localized version of the screenshot. What's always tricky about taking localized screenshots is maintaining the same dimensions as the English image. If the dimensions aren't the same, then these effects will be placed in the wrong spot and will have to be moved. (The same does go for callouts, but I find they are usually more forgiving.)

If you have a large number of images that will have to be localized in this fashion, then be prepared for extra time and money it may take. (Even if you do some or all of the image work, your time is still a cost.) But you may also be surprised and see a lower cost than the nightmare estimates in your head, if you work with a vendor who is MadCap-savvy, innovative, technology-minded, and efficient.

I hope this information helps!
Jennifer Schudel
Localization Manager/Flare Operator
Advanced Language Translation / http://www.advancedlanguage.com
* MadCap Recommended Translation Vendor *
Tony
Propeller Head

Post by Tony »

Hi,
Thanks for the quick and detailed replies,
Nita Beck wrote:There's a command in Capture with which one can REPLACE the background image, so the English background image could be replaced with, say, the French background image, and then the callouts could be translated into French.
Is that the "Recapture Image" button? Is there anyway to do this for all captures that have properties files? Or do you have to do it one by one?
alt_jennifer wrote:Well the first issue to determine is: is the software translated or going to be translated during the project?
Yes. The GUI, and therefore all screenshots will be translated.

Based on your replies, I am probably going to keep callouts and other fancy Capture effects to a minimum. But I will continue to use Nita's idea that enables me to have a cropped image in PDF and full image in the online help - while still using the same file. From what I understand, if the translators do not change the filename, and the dimensions of the tranlsated image are the same, then I should be OK. After they supply the new image file, I (or they) would just need to use Capture to replace the English background image with the translated background image. In Nita's solution I think that the background image is the "full uncropped image". If the size of the image is different in the translated version, then we might need to adjust the cropped area in the "object" layer of the image.

Thank you so much for your help

Tony
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

I was thinking of the Replace command, which is right next to the Recapture command. With Replace, one can replace the background image.

I've not yet been through the localization process, so I'm speculating. Maybe if the UI is translated then, yes, you'd use the Recapture command.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
alt_jennifer
Propeller Head

Post by alt_jennifer »

I'm speculating here too, because I've never used this button, but I think the Recapture command will only work if it's done on the same computer as the original English. This is because it kind of memorizes the coordinates of the English capture, and applies that to the new capture. If you're on different computers, with different resolutions and settings, it might not work. But again, just speculation. Replace will allow you to browse to the newly captured image that you want to use as the background now.

And yes, filenames should stay the same in translation, but you need to specify that to the vendor. Also make sure you let the translation vendor know that you want the dimensions to match the English as closely as possible. Some might not check for that when they capture the screens.
Jennifer Schudel
Localization Manager/Flare Operator
Advanced Language Translation / http://www.advancedlanguage.com
* MadCap Recommended Translation Vendor *