Alternatives to HTML for Local Help

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
todd.richardson
Sr. Propeller Head

Alternatives to HTML for Local Help

Post by todd.richardson »

Hello,

We currently provide our locally-installed product documentation as .CHM Help. This format seems rather antiquated now, however, and we are interested in learning about other alternatives. For those of you who provide locally-installed Help, what format(s) do you use? I would appreciate any information you could provide.

Thanks.
Todd Richardson
Engineering Team Lead – Customer Experience | IntervalZero

Windows 10, Flare 2020
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Alternatives to HTML for Local Help

Post by NorthEast »

Most of our desktop applications are using WebHelp, but we're in the process of switching to HTML5 help.
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

I second Dave's reply. Stopped using .chm two years ago; went to WebHelp. Now moving to HTML5.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

You might also want to take a look at DotNetHelp in case you document a DotNet based app. If not, HTML5 help it is although the current recommendation from Microsoft even for Windows 8 still is CHM.
Robotman
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Robotman »

Moving from CHM to HTML5 help over the last two years. About half of our projects are currently in HTML5 - all installed and accessed locally on the designated system.
\m/ Gary \m/
Flare 2024
Screaming Symphony
svt-user
Propeller Head

Post by svt-user »

I'm using both HTML5 and Webhelp. However, I believe there is still a problem with Chrome not supporting local Webhelp. Other browsers can throw up odd behavior. You should test your output with a range of browsers.
todd.richardson
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by todd.richardson »

Thanks for all the replies. We use HTML5 for the Help that is available from our Website, and I like the modern look. I am interested in moving to that format for our desktop applications as well. I would appreciate any resources you could point me to - or tips - that would be helpful in making the conversion from CHM to HTML5 and deploying HTML5 Help with a desktop app.
Todd Richardson
Engineering Team Lead – Customer Experience | IntervalZero

Windows 10, Flare 2020