Expanding text moving to second line

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Expanding text moving to second line

Post by LTinker68 »

Normally I use togglers to reveal my content, but I have a situation now where expanding text would work better. I have a word or phrase and then following that is the definition text I want to be revealed by the expanding text effect. When I insert the effect, it appears correctly -- I see the effect brackets around the hotspot text and a second set of effect brackets around the text to be revealed and the term and definition start on the same line. When I preview the topic, the expanding text starts out on the same line, but then it moves down to the next line.

How the effect appears in the XML Editor:
[Term][– definition]

How it appears in the preview when the effect is run:
Term
– definition

I opened the Flare help in the GUI and went to the topic and clicked on the expanding text example, and it worked the way I expected – the revealed text remained on the same line as the term and part of the definition wrapped to the next line when it needed to. I went to the same help topic in the Flare v9 online help website, and that same example behaved the way I'm seeing, where the expanding text started out on the same line then moved down to the next line. So it would appear to be a bug in how the expanding text effect appears in online help as opposed to DotNet help.

Is anyone else seeing this happen with the expanding text effect? Specifically in HTML5 output? I've tried playing with the MadCap|expandingBody style (set white-space to normal, so it should wrap, and tried setting display to inline) and the MadCap|expandingHead style (tried setting display to inline and run-in), but that hasn't helped. The moving-to-the-next-line happens in both Firefox and IE9. The same thing happens in the v8 online help, but it doesn't happen in v7's online help. That one was before HTML5 output came out so that help was definitely created as WebHelp output, so perhaps this issue is only with HTML5 output, although I think v8's help is WebHelp, too, and it happens in v8, so maybe the problem was introduced in v8. Although if that's the case, I find it hard to believe no one else has noticed a problem with their expanding text effects in the 1.5 years since v8 came out.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
DocuWil
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Expanding text moving to second line

Post by DocuWil »

Hi Lisa,

I have tested it and found that nowhere the text moves to the next line:
Expanding Text.png
I use Chrome, but I have done tests with IE10, Firefox, and Safari as well. All the same behavior.
It also makes no difference when outputting to HTML5 or WebHelp.
LTinker68 wrote:I find it hard to believe no one else has noticed a problem with their expanding text effects in the 1.5 years since v8 came out
I must say that I use it rarely.
LTinker68 wrote:I went to the same help topic in the Flare v9 online help website, and that same example behaved the way I'm seeing, where the expanding text started out on the same line then moved down to the next line.
I did the same but the text remained at the same line.

Have a nice weekend :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wil Veenstra

Documentation and Training Centre
Infologic Nederland
(Using Flare 11.1.2, Capture 7.0.0 and Mimic 7.0.0 in Windows 10 64-bit)
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

Weird. I went to a different computer that's running Windows XP (this computer is Windows 7 64-bit) and the same thing happens. So the move down to the next line happens on two different computers running two different OS's running different versions of two browsers. Bizarre. I'll have to remember to try this from home on my personal computer.

Lisa
ChristineShirey
Propeller Head

Post by ChristineShirey »

Oh, yes. I saw this in HTML5 and was told by our local toolsmith that a bug had been submitted. (Sorry, I don't know the case number.)

I regretfully changed all my text expansions to togglers. I'm also surprised that more people haven't bemoaned the loss of expanding text. (In the meantime, I've switched back to WebHelp, again regretfully, because of accessibility issues that were solved in Flare 9 WebHelp, but not Flare 9 HTML5.)
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

I noticed it appeared fine if the expanding text was a short sentence, one that didn't have to wrap to the next line. In that case, the expanding text effect worked as expected. I tried playing with various style attributes for the body and hotspot and such, but no go. I ended up switching to togglers, too.

Lisa
smajors
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by smajors »

I still have this issue of the expanding text body wrapping to the second line and can't figure out a fix. Maybe I will submit it to Madcap as a bug. I'm using Flare V11.
Technical Writer
Training & Development Team/Marketing Department