Multiple Projects to single HTML5 Output (tranlsations)

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
kordorama
Propeller Head

Multiple Projects to single HTML5 Output (tranlsations)

Post by kordorama »

Hi all.

I have a project that has been translated into 10 languages and therefore there are 10 separate Flare projects. I'm interested in outputting to a single HTML5 and somehow use the same skin to generate the output, using a single set of resources and target/skin data. Ideally you could toggle between languages, or at the least have each language as a high-level bookmark. Slightly complicating things is that each language project currently its own set of Variables and images.

Does anyone have recommendations for the best way to do this?

My current solution is to output to separate PDF files and then add them into a single, all-encompassing PDF. This is not ideal, but OK for the time.

thanks--
//Matt
techwriter31
Propellus Maximus

Re: Multiple Projects to single HTML5 Output (tranlsations)

Post by techwriter31 »

I've only done this with WebHelp Plus (and it's been a little while since I did), but for HTML5 you should be able to merge the outputs. You'll need to:
1) Create your HTML5 target and skin file in each Flare project.
2) Then in your "master" project, you'll need to create your TOC. You'll need to create TOC entries for each of the targets you want to merge, then specify the appropriate runtime merge setting for each of the TOC entries. I believe the appearance of the skin file in the "master" project will dictate the appearance of the merged output.
Kellie
techwriter31
Propellus Maximus

Post by techwriter31 »

Kellie
kordorama
Propeller Head

Post by kordorama »

Thanks for your reply.

I'm trying to wrap my head around this and am confused how to create the master project's TOC comprised of the other projects' output. Is through by linking a new topic to each project's 'default' html output?

(Additionally I was a bit confused from the Help topic you pointed to. I'm unsure my goal here is to 'automerge' projects, or if that is only for publishing to a server)

I hope these questions make sense. Thanks!
techwriter31
Propellus Maximus

Post by techwriter31 »

Within your masterTOC file, you'll need to create new TOC entries for each project you want to link to. Then you'll need to configure each TOC entry to link to the corresponding project and target within that project.

To do this, you'll right-click each TOC entry and select Properties. In the General tab of the Properties dialog, under the Link section you'll select the appropriate runtime merging option. My guess is that you'd use the "Select Flare Project and Target..." When you select this option, the Link to Flare Project and Target dialog automatically opens. You'll need to browse to the project file you want to link to. After you've selected the appropriate project, you want to select the appropriate target file. Click OK to exit the dialog and save the changes. Open the master target, ensure it's pointing to the master TOC and generate the output, and it should work.

This related posting may help some too:
http://forums.madcapsoftware.com/viewto ... 930#p90930
Kellie
kordorama
Propeller Head

Post by kordorama »

Great thanks for your help Kellie. This looks great right away -- I'm getting closer....

Now another question: For my project, the final size has a limit that is pretty small, under 2 MB. When try this merging method with two projects, I've tripled my Data, Resources and Skins -- the largest folders in an output. Is there any way to only grab the content from each sub-system and have a master Data, Resources, and Skins?
kordorama
Propeller Head

Post by kordorama »

bump