Edited image in Capture does not show in Flare CHM output

This Forum is for General Issues about Capture
WayneC
Propeller Head

Edited image in Capture does not show in Flare CHM output

Post by WayneC »

Really annoying bug is affecting our work. If an image is edited in Capture (eg adding an arrow or text) and then used in a Flare project, if the output is HTMLHelp (CHM) then the image will not dispaly properly. All that is shown is a image frame and a X icon. The image appears fine in other outputs such as WebHelp.

If the .props file for that image is deleted from the Flare project then the image will appear fine in the CHM output!
Msquared
Propellus Maximus

Re: Edited image in Capture does not show in Flare CHM output

Post by Msquared »

I don't use Capture, I use (shhh) Sn**it. So my suggestion may be no use to you at all, but since no-one else has answered yet . . .

What's in the .props file that you delete? Is it being used to conditionalise away the image for CHM output?

The only .props files I've seen are in folders, when I've used Flare to apply a conditional to a whole folder. In that case, the .props file stores the conditions that apply to that folder. Does Capture create the .props file with the image, and perhaps has got some setting applied that causes it to think that you don't want the images for CHM outputs?
Marjorie

My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dogs already think I am.
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Post by SteveS »

The .props file contains the original image and code relating to the changes used to create the final image.

It can be deleted, leaving only the final edited image.

Belts and braces people, like myself, will create a folder for screen captures outside of the project and just bring the final image into the Flare project.
Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

Msquared is on the right track.

First, does your .chm target exclude any conditions? I presume yes.

My instincts tell me that the root of the problem is a condition's being applied somewhere that is then being excluded from the .chm output. Because Capture cannot apply a condition to an image file itself, it applies the condition in the .props file that accompanies the image. The fact that the image shows up in the generated .chm when its .props file is deleted suggests that the target is indeed set to exclude the condition stored in the .props file.

When you edit the image in Capture, has that condition been applied to the file properties (rather than the properties of an object such as a callout)?

Has a Capture profile been applied to the image, and that profile applies that condition? If so, that condition will end up being added to the image file's .props file.

Try this: Without resorting to deleting .props files, edit the .chm target so that it does not exclude anything. Do the images show up then? If so, eureka: It's a condition problem.

(Another possibility is this, but it's with Flare not Capture: Is the image in a folder in the Flare project to which a condition has been applied that the .chm target excludes, and so none of those images makes it into the .chm?)
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!