Analytics in your .chm?

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the Microsoft HTML Help target.
This target produces "CHM" files in the output.
phriend_o_phlair
Propeller Head

Analytics in your .chm?

Post by phriend_o_phlair »

Hello, MadCappers. Has anyone here ever tracked help system use from inside a .chm file? Perhaps by using MadCap Feedback or even Google Analyatics? Is this possible? We package a .chm with our software and it is assumed that everyone using the software will have an Internet connection. I was scanning the MadCap documentation and Feedback is supposed to be able to track F1 calls. But... within a .chm? It is an html-based output. Thanks!
neilcav
Jr. Propeller Head

Re: Analytics in your .chm?

Post by neilcav »

If you can't inside the analytics code within the CHM itself, could you put the Analytics event tracking code in blank, external HTML files and link off to it?
phriend_o_phlair
Propeller Head

Hey neilcav ,thanks for chiming in! Good idea, but that's what I'm ultimately trying to find out: if anyone has successfully added any sort of analytics to their packaged .chms to see how their Microsoft HTML help systems are being used. Maybe you'll get some discussion going... :D
phriend_o_phlair
Propeller Head

Well, I'm going to try one more time to see if anyone has input. (Anyone? :) ) I haven't found a whole lot out there regarding people tracking .chm usage. I reckon that would be one of the big "pros" of having a web-based help system; seems like it would be easier to watch users with an online help portal. Any way you slice it, you'd have to have Internet access to make the info-gathering happen. I'm going to shelf this idea for a little while. I sat in on a Pulse webinar, and although it looks pretty fantastic, I just don't see it as being a good option for our packaged-with-the-software help .chm. Maybe we'll move online before long. Please chime in if you have anything to add, I'd like to hear it. Thanks!