Movie Frame Size

This Forum is for General Issues about Mimic
LindaW
Propeller Head

Movie Frame Size

Post by LindaW »

I'm planning my first Mimic project, and could use some advice on how to start out for the right size output. At first, I thought that I could take my fullsize recorded screenshots, and then adjust them later for the smaller size output. But after reading a few other posts, I'm realising that the capture has to be the size that the output will be - ? The application that is the basis for this project has a large, busy display. I can't even get it down to the 630 x 480 or 800 x 600 recording size that I think I will need to use for my output.
My project will be output in Flash format, and will be integrated with my Flare WebHelp project, with links to the movies. I don't know what size screens the users will have, so I think I will need to use one of the smaller formats. So, I will probably need to focus on sections of the screen, rather than including fullscreen images. At least for this first project, I don't anticipate capturing cursor movement - I'll just add objects and effects in after recording the frames. So, one question that I have is - what is the best way to get my images? Do I start my recording, then pause it when I need to move the recording area to another part of the screen for the next image? Is this the best approach for recording areas of the screen? I'm just wondering how people do this. I have already created a practice movie, with fullscreen, fullsize screen captures - now I want to create something that I can use, so I'd like to start with a good base. Any suggestions? (sorry this is so long)... Thank you, Linda.
schultza
Propeller Head

Re: Movie Frame Size

Post by schultza »

Did you receive any feedback on this topic? My company is looking to start creating short videos for our client Web site, and we also are unsure of the best screen size to use. Any recommendations you have would be appreciated.
LindaW
Propeller Head

Post by LindaW »

No, I have not received feedback on this topic. I just got back to this project a week or 2 ago, and am experimenting with various ways to create and publish my short demos. I have found that, for my purposes, the best approach is to create Flash output, and embed the demos into my WebHelp. But, I'm still having size issues. For some of my screen images, I need a minimum width of 1000 px. This will probably be ok for most users, but could get cut off on smaller screens. So, what I'm trying now is this - I'm embedding the Flash output into the WebHelp, but I am also providing a hyperlink so that the user has the option to view the movie in a separate browser window. I'm running into some problems with this - I would like the link to open in a popup window that will overlay the WebHelp window - but so far, I'm only able to get it to open in a fullsize, separate window. This is ok, but not as seamless for the user, so I'm hoping to find a way to control the way that the hyperlink displays.
ThomasH
Propeller Head

Post by ThomasH »

LindaW wrote:I would like the link to open in a popup window that will overlay the WebHelp window - but so far, I'm only able to get it to open in a fullsize, separate window. This is ok, but not as seamless for the user, so I'm hoping to find a way to control the way that the hyperlink displays.
Right-Click the hyperlink and choose "Edit Hyperlink"
Set the option "Target Frame" to Popup

That should do the trick - although I did not test it.
However if the video size is bigger than the popups size it will not display all content. So you might want to check if you can change the popup-windows size somehow.
LindaW
Propeller Head

Post by LindaW »

I've tried the popup target frame, but with mixed results. In one instance, even though I've selected popup window, it still opens in the same browser window. In another instance, it does open in a popup window, but cuts off the bottom of the movie. When I click off the movie, to go back to the webhelp, the webhelp screen goes black. I have the popup width and height set to auto in my stylesheet - I was hoping that would take care of the size, since I am creating movie output in various sizes.
dalogan
Propeller Head

Post by dalogan »

I would love some advice about the same thing. I have gone through the same process of recording large screens; too big for end-user and Webhelp. I tried resizing the movie properties with mixed results. I would also like to be able to zoom in to a section of the larger screen, but it looks like you can't record a big screen and then add a smaller screen in the next frame because the smaller one then resizes to the larger frame.