Variable displays the wrong style in HTML5

This forum is for all Flare issues related to styles, stylesheets and XML.
Patt
Propeller Head

Variable displays the wrong style in HTML5

Post by Patt »

I use a variable for my product name. When I output to Word, it works just fine. When I output to HTML5 my product name is underlined. It's not supposed to be. I cannot find anything in the style sheet that would cause this. Anyone have any ideas on how I can fix this?

Thanks,
P-
Daniel Ferguson
Propeller Head

Re: Variable displays the wrong style in HTML5

Post by Daniel Ferguson »

Patt, make sure that you switch the medium to "default" when you are styling HTML5 output in your stylesheet. My guess is that you're looking in the print medium. Any styles in the print medium don't affect HTML5 output.
Daniel Ferguson
Certified Flare Trainer & Consultant
smartoutput.com
Patt
Propeller Head

Post by Patt »

Daniel, I wish it was that simple. I have a medium called 'non-print', which is what I am using for HTML5. The target is set to use the non-print medium and the style sheet for non-print medium doesn't have an underline.
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

But do you have the underline in the default medium? The non-print medium will inherit from the default medium, so if you style something in the default medium then it will appear that way in all outputs, unless you expressly override that style definition in the medium the output uses (the non-print medium, in this case). Likewise, the print medium will inherit from the default medium.

Note that named mediums (non-print, print, myPDFmedium, mySpecialStyles, etc.) won't inherit from each other; they inherit only from the default medium.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
Patt
Propeller Head

Post by Patt »

Lisa, that was a good thought but again, not the problem. The default medium does not have an underline either. So my non-print medium is not inheriting this from the default medium. Oddly, my print medium displays the variables correctly. So it's got to be something in my non-print medium style sheet. I just don't see what.
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

Open the stylesheet in the Internal Text Editor and do a find on "underline" or "border-bottom" to see what styles use either of that value (underline) or attribute (border-bottom).

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
Patt
Propeller Head

Post by Patt »

Lisa, another excellent idea but I still don't see where this is coming from. My only underline is on a xref style. The border-bottom isn't used either. I checked all the mediums just to be safe and still no luck finding where the variable is picking this up from.

I'm starting to think this is a bug.
Patt
Propeller Head

Post by Patt »

Found it! Apparently the variable is wrapped in a span style, which I did not realize. For some reason the span style has an underline. Thanks everyone for your suggestions.