Keybopard toggle between Text and XML editors?

This forum is for all Flare related Tips and Tricks.
Have a tip or trick you use while working in Flare? Share it here.
bpsulli
Propeller Head

Keybopard toggle between Text and XML editors?

Post by bpsulli »

Hi, the subject line pretty much says it - would anyone know if there's a keyboard method (v9.1) to flip back and forth between the Text Editor and XML Editor tabs without using the steenkin' mouse? Thanks!
Msquared
Propellus Maximus

Re: Keybopard toggle between Text and XML editors?

Post by Msquared »

Not so far as I know. Flare isn't so hot on shortcut keys, I'm afraid. You could submit a feature request.
Marjorie

My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dogs already think I am.
bpsulli
Propeller Head

Post by bpsulli »

Thanks Marjorie - yes, I've definitely noticed that Flare is sadly deficient in terms of handy shortcuts. Especially in comparison to a tool like Framemaker, in which a knowledgable user can fly along without need to reach for the mouse anywhere near as often.
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

The split code/design view option was added in v9, if you hadn't seen that yet.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
bpsulli
Propeller Head

Post by bpsulli »

Yep, and I've used that mode a bit as well.....would you happen to know of a way to move between THOSE panes without using the mouse? : )
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

Sorry, I don't think I've ever tried.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

According to the Flare help (at http://webhelp.madcapsoftware.com/flare ... rtcuts.htm, the shortcut to toggle between the XML Editor tab and the Text Editor tab is "CTRL+` (grave accent)". I tried it; it works!

(Learn something new every day...)
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
bpsulli
Propeller Head

Post by bpsulli »

It does indeed - many thanks!
joannak
Propeller Head

Post by joannak »

Is this just for Flare 9 or also 8?
And, where is the "grave accent" key... I don't have one on my keyboard...
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

joannak wrote:Is this just for Flare 9 or also 8?
And, where is the "grave accent" key... I don't have one on my keyboard...
It's the tilde ~ key at the far left.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

This didn't work for me, so maybe the shortcut list only applies to US keyboards.
(` grave and ~ tilde are different keys on a UK keyboard, but neither work.)

For UK, this is: Ctrl + ' (apostrophe / @ key)
sdcinvan
Propellus Maximus

Post by sdcinvan »

I can confirm that Ctrl and ~ does indeed switch between the XML and Text editors.

Unfortunately, the shortcut doesn't help when the XML/Text editor tabs are missing, while using the Find and Replace function. :(

I think this is a very old bug?
Shawn in Vancouver, Canada
Main tools used: Flare 11.x, InDesign, Google Docs, Lectora, Captivate.
Report bugs: https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback/bugs.aspx ▪ Feature requests: https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx[/i]
dorcutt
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by dorcutt »

For some reason, only when the XML and Text Editor tabs are missing and you're in source code mode, if you hit Ctrl-F2 the current document opens in a new window in XML Editor mode (with the tabs). I find this very handy when finding and replacing in the source code.

So, between the ctrl-` key and the ctrl-f2 key, you're always able to use the keyboard to switch views (well, opening the doc in the correct view a new tab is close enough in my book anyway anyway).
-Dan, Propellerhead-in-training
sdcinvan
Propellus Maximus

Post by sdcinvan »

dorcutt wrote:For some reason, only when the XML and Text Editor tabs are missing and you're in source code mode, if you hit Ctrl-F2 the current document opens in a new window in XML Editor mode (with the tabs). I find this very handy when finding and replacing in the source code.

So, between the ctrl-` key and the ctrl-f2 key, you're always able to use the keyboard to switch views (well, opening the doc in the correct view a new tab is close enough in my book anyway anyway).
That works, however, that actually just opens a new instance of the same page and without the 'found' text highlighted.

Here is the workflow (there are likely other permutations that achieve the same results) for this repeatable bug:
- Your view is configured to show either the XML or the TEXT editor, which are selectable as right-side tabs.
- Select Search/Replace
- Activate Search
- The moment a search result appears in either the XML or the TEXT editor, the tabs to select between the two editors disappears.
Search_XML_TEXT_tabs_vanish.png
Why is this a problem?

A) The find result may not appear in the automatically selected editor view or it will be difficult to determine the context of the 'found' text (i.e. appears in TEXT view but you would like to see how it appears in the XML view).
B) It is useful to view the impact of the changed content by switching between views, during a find/replace operation.
C) The tabs do not reappear after the Search/Replace operation has completed. The requires you to close the topic window and re-open it.

Is MadCap aware of this bug? It's been talked about for years and it rather annoying. If it bothers you, please report it, here: h[url]ttps://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback/bugs.aspx[/url]

Reporting this issue, again!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shawn in Vancouver, Canada
Main tools used: Flare 11.x, InDesign, Google Docs, Lectora, Captivate.
Report bugs: https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback/bugs.aspx ▪ Feature requests: https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx[/i]
jefftharrahman
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by jefftharrahman »

Ctl+` (accent grave) is the shortcut. The Flare shortcuts are listed in the Help topic "Shortcuts."