Forward/Back buttons in HTML5 stop working on some topics

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
ArmandFrvr
Propeller Head

Forward/Back buttons in HTML5 stop working on some topics

Post by ArmandFrvr »

In my HTML5 output, I have two topics where the forward/back buttons do not work. I can hit forward multiple times to browse through the topics, including the broken topic, but once I get to the broken topics neither forward nor back does anything. The only thing I can think of that these topics share in common is that they were copied from another project (different projects). Short of recreating these topics, is there some setting I can change to get the navigation buttons to work again?
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Forward/Back buttons in HTML5 stop working on some topics

Post by Nita Beck »

Just to clarify: You mean the browser's Forward and Back buttons, not the skin's Previous and Next buttons?

I have seen issues with the Forward and Back buttons in IE not working correctly for HTML5 (although I haven't tested whether the latest Flare update to 9.1.2 solved that issue).

If you do mean the browser's Forward and Back buttons, do they not work for those topics in all browsers or just some browsers?

In short, we need a little more detail to help you out.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
ArmandFrvr
Propeller Head

Post by ArmandFrvr »

The issue is with the "Navigate previous" and "Navigate next" buttons in the HTML5 skin. Normally they navigate through the topics in the ToC, in the order they appear. I can navigate to these two topics in this way, using the "Navigate next" button, but once I'm there neither button seems to do anything.

Thanks.
ArmandFrvr
Propeller Head

Post by ArmandFrvr »

Interestingly enough, I am seeing this behavior in Chrome and Firefox, but not IE.
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

I've been pondering your post for a few days now, but I'm stumped.

Take a look at the code of those two topics, especially at the stuff in the <head> tag. Might there be anything there that is somehow still referencing their old project (although I'd expect Flare to throw up a "link points to topic outside of project" error when you do a build)?
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

Is there any caching involved? Clear the browser cache and see if that makes a difference.
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

Also, are those duplicate topics? For instance, do you have TopicA located in BookA, and also have TopicA located in BookD? The breadcrumb trail uses the location of the topic where it's first located in the TOC (BookA), even if you clicked on it at the later location (BookD). I wonder if the forward/back buttons also have problems with duplicate topics and have problems deciding which location it's supposed to go forward or back from.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
Patt
Propeller Head

Post by Patt »

Did anyone fine a resolution for this problem. I am also seeing it with HTML5. The Next and Previous buttons don't work on a couple of topics. I don't see any difference in the code. I am using IE to view the help.
figurnov
Propeller Head

Post by figurnov »

In Flare 8 these buttons worked well. Perhaps their behavior deteriorated due to incorrect implementation of TocPath information in URLs in Flare 9.
Removing the ;K+=encodeURIComponent("?"+M+"Path="+Q) string from the MadCapAll.js script supresses TocPath information in URLs in Flare 9 and also cures the behaviour of "Navigate Next" and "Navigate Previous" buttons.
Patt
Propeller Head

Post by Patt »

Removing the ;K+=encodeURIComponent("?"+M+"Path="+Q) string from the MadCapAll.js script supresses TocPath information in URLs in Flare 9 and also cures the behaviour of "Navigate Next" and "Navigate Previous" buttons.

Can anyone tell me where to find this MadCapAll.js file? I don't see it anywhere in my project.

Thanks,
P-
wclass
Propellus Maximus

Post by wclass »

It's a generated file and will appear in the output, not in your source project files.
After creating help, open the output folder (Project tab > Open Output Folder), then open up the help output you just created. It'll be hiding in the Resources folder there. (Not to be confused with the other Resources folder within the Content folder).

As it is generated, any updates will be overwritten each time you recreate the help, so you might have to make backups of your changes etc.
You might also be able to change the original as stored in the Program Files directory, but I have not tried this, and it will then affect all projects created on your machine.
Margaret Hassall - Melbourne
Patt
Propeller Head

Post by Patt »

Thanks Margaret. I found the file and removed the string.
However, that didn't fix my problem. :(
KCinColorado
Propeller Head

Post by KCinColorado »

Not sure if this is related but I noticed that if you click a link in HTML5 output, press the IE Back button, then click the same link again, you get no response. MadCap support pointed out that the URL in the browser window retains the bookmarked (target) location AFTER you click Back. So when you re-click the same link, the browser thinks it's already there so it does not update, even though you are not viewing the bookmarked location. I'm pretty sure they said this problem was introduced with IE 10, which I had just upgraded to with Windows Update.

I recently installed IE 11 and can no longer recreate the problem using the same Help system. It appears to be fixed!

I am not sure if the same underlying cause would affect the Forward/Back buttons in the Help itself. But if you are using IE 10, you might try upgrading to IE 11 to see if that corrects the issue.

kc