Graphics and Alt Text

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the Microsoft HTML Help target.
This target produces "CHM" files in the output.
GeorgeBell
Sr. Propeller Head

Graphics and Alt Text

Post by GeorgeBell »

One of my Projects includes Topics which use of a large number of images of flags, which are *.gif images.

Perhaps I'm just having a bad day :( , but I can't figure out the best way to avoid having to edit the image each time it is used to include Alt Text, Screen Tip, etc..

What do others do when an image is used multiple times?
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Graphics and Alt Text

Post by RamonS »

You could give snippets a try. Stick the image into a snippet and set the alternate text, then stuff the snippet into the places where you want the image to appear.
GeorgeBell
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by GeorgeBell »

It gets better and better with V10 - NOT!

When I try to access any image, I now get:

"System.Security.SecurityException occurred at [date] [time]
Requested registry access is not allowed."

I've submitted the error to Madcap, but has anyone any ideas on a fix?
Msquared
Propellus Maximus

Post by Msquared »

Sorry, no definite ideas, but lots of questions.

What changed to make this problem happen?

Did you put the images in snippets as Ramon suggested (good idea, by the way - I wish I'd though of it)? Did you upgrade to Flare 10? Did you move the images to another location?

And when you say the error happens when you try to access any image, what do you mean by that? Do you mean when you try to insert it in a snippet, when you try to view it from within Flare, when you try to set the properties, when you try to set a style for it in the Flare editor, when you try to save changes to the properties, or when you view it in HTML/HTML5 output? Something else?

Does the same problem occur when you try to access other items in the Resources folder?

Are you using source control, and if so, what?

Have you tried deleting everything below /Analyzer, /Output, /Project/Users and /SourceControl? That can sometimes help get rid of out-of-date information that Flare has cached.

Have you tried a reboot?

Are you using the latest version of Flare? I think it's Flare 10.1.
Marjorie

My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dogs already think I am.
GeorgeBell
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by GeorgeBell »

I've answered your questions in [square brackets] below, but what I have established is that I can access, edit and compile the project perfectly well in Flare 9. Since I can continue working for the time being, I shall call Madcap support - at least we do have a support contract.

To go back to my original question, There is a potential kind of solution, but it works in reverse, so to speak. If I add a *new* graphic to a Topic, there is a check box which says, "apply the alt text and screen tip to all image references". Provided there are other *existing* graphics of the same name, they will all be updated. BUT, add the same image elsewhere later, and you will have to manually add the attributes.

Looks like there is potential for a feature here linked to the Warnings during compilation.

And to your questions:

What changed to make this problem happen?
[Nothing I am aware of]

Did you put the images in snippets as Ramon suggested (good idea, by the way - I wish I'd though of it)? Did you upgrade to Flare 10? Did you move the images to another location?
[Not yet, but I am using Flare 10.1]

And when you say the error happens when you try to access any image, what do you mean by that? Do you mean when you try to insert it in a snippet, when you try to view it from within Flare, when you try to set the properties, when you try to set a style for it in the Flare editor, when you try to save changes to the properties, or when you view it in HTML/HTML5 output? Something else?
[Quite simple - when I right click on *any* image in the project, the error comes up right away]

Does the same problem occur when you try to access other items in the Resources folder?
[As I said above, it happens with any image I right click on]

Are you using source control, and if so, what?
[No]

Have you tried deleting everything below /Analyzer, /Output, /Project/Users and /SourceControl? That can sometimes help get rid of out-of-date information that Flare has cached.
[Not yet - thought I'd best wait until I speak with Madcap support in case it help them define a problem here]

Have you tried a reboot?
[Yes - no difference]

Are you using the latest version of Flare? I think it's Flare 10.1.
[Yes]
Msquared
Propellus Maximus

Post by Msquared »

Ah! Thanks for the detailed replies.

I'm guessing that the first thing MadCap support will tell you to do is to delete those temporary files. They really are only temporary cached files, nothing more. In fact, when you made the switch from Flare 9 to 10 for that project, is it possible that some of these files were left over from Flare 9 and that you continued with those when you started with Flare 10?

An incompatibility there could be the source of your problems, possibly. Again, only a guess, but something I'd try before calling support (but then, I'm in the UK, and they're not, so self-sufficiency is good for me).
Marjorie

My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dogs already think I am.
GeorgeBell
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by GeorgeBell »

(but then, I'm in the UK, and they're not, so self-sufficiency is good for me).
Snap - so am I.

However, as someone who works very closely with another American developer, I'm going to leave things as they are until I call them. It's all been working fine until recently, and I've a suspicion I know what may have started it.

Will report later.
GeorgeBell
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Graphics and Alt Text (Solution)

Post by GeorgeBell »

I called Madcap, and it is indeed a problem - BUT - only appears to affect *.GIF images.

FYI, in this case I am running Flare 10.1.0 with Windows 7 Professional 64 bit and fully up to date.

While Madcap investigate further, and you find yourself unable to edit GIF files in topics, you have two options.

1) Set User Account Control (UAC) to absolute minimum.
or
2) Hold down shift, RIGHT click on the Flare V10 icon, and select "Run as administrator". (This does NOT work to open a Recent Project)

Neither solution is ideal, but that's what we've found at the moment.