Add Ons and External Tools

This forum is for all Flare related Tips and Tricks.
Have a tip or trick you use while working in Flare? Share it here.
Jess77
Sr. Propeller Head

Add Ons and External Tools

Post by Jess77 »

I may be starting a big discussion here, but I have recently discovered some great tools to use with Flare and it sparked a question: Are there add ons and tools specifically for Flare?

I remember that Schlomo Peretz had great plugins for FrameMaker and my team used them every day! Does it work that way for Flare? If so, what kinds of things do they do?

I've been searching this forum and the web for "add ons" and "plugins" without much success. I'm guessing it doesn't work that way in Flare because it's XML. It seems like the tools available allow you to edit the HTM files outside Flare and those changes show up when you open the files in Flare.

So far, I have found:
Search & Replace Master: http://www.knowlesys.com/software/searc ... ce-master/
--This is a great search and replace tool, but you can't see the changes as you make them, so make sure you know what you're doing!

Far5: http://www.helpwaregroup.com/download
--I'm still learning this tool. It will allow you to move through the files to see that changes you're making. It's great for finding span tags surrounding text as in "<span> text text text </span>" ... although I still haven't figured out how to remove those spans tags individually.

What are your favorite tools?
Jessica N.
Certified MadCap Advanced Developer for Flare
doc_guy
Propellus Maximus

Re: Add Ons and External Tools

Post by doc_guy »

Hey Jess77,

I know that Thomas Trenger has written at least one Flare Plug in using Flare's API. He writes about it on his Flare for Programmers blog. You might find that interesting.

I'd love to see a development community spring up around Flare, but so far Thomas is the only one that I'm aware of who has been actively doing something in that arena.

-Paul
Paul Pehrson
My Blog

Henk_K
Jr. Propeller Head

Re: Add Ons and External Tools

Post by Henk_K »

Hi all,

I'm just curious if there's anyone with any experience in using Flare's API with Python or Lua for writing plugins.

Thanks,
Henk