Mapping list styles for imported Word content

This forum is for all Flare issues related to importing files or projects.
JPohl
Jr. Propeller Head

Re: Mapping list styles for imported Word content

Post by JPohl »

Oooo, sign me up for that eBook, too! I've been wrangling with the round-tripping, too, especially lists.
gkidder
Propeller Head

Post by gkidder »

Flare documentation isn't particularly helpful about how to re-create your numbering styles based on the p class tags it creates for your numbered lists. However, here's what you need to set in your stylesheet for your "p.stepnum" (or whatever it's called) style:

mc-auto-number-class: stepnum
mc-auto-number-format: {n+}
mc-auto-number-offset: 24px
mc-autonumber-position: outside-head
(You can play around with those last two.)

To restart numbering, on the "step intro" style, if you have one, or on each heading style (to restart numbering in the topic), set:

mc-auto-number-format: { =0}

If you want to do any fancy formatting on your numbers, you can do that with a span class style. For instance, to make your numbers bold and blue, on a span.stepnum style set this:

color: #0067a8
font-weight: bold

As for your stylesheet getting overridden on import, simply save it under another name. Associate that one to the import file and the styles will get picked up on import. (At least it works that way with FrameMaker. I assume it's the same with Word.)
mjacober
Propeller Head

Post by mjacober »

I realize that this topic is over 2 years old, but I'm just getting to it. I've spent the last 5 years importing Frame documents into Flare, and have figured out most of the in's and out's of that. Now, however, I'm trying to tame the Word7-to-Flare import, and--I've got to say--it ain't as easy! IMHO, Frame gives you much better control of the source, and seems (at least at this point in my journey) to result in much more predictable output from Flare. K. That's off my chest.

In Frame, I created a Step1 style and a Stepn style, and mapped those to p.Step1 and p.Stepn with the appropriate mc-auto-numbering. I did the same with SubStep1 and SubStepn, etc. All was good. I could completely control the look and positioning of my lists. Now, however, I can't figure out how to create a 'List Number First' style and a 'List Number' style that renumber properly within Word7. Word's 'auto-magic' numbering just seems to take over, changing styles, and refusing to 'Start at 1' and 'Continue numbering'. Word appears to be looking at the two styles as two separate lists.

I'm seeing, from this thread, that several of you have figured this out. Please share.

Thanks,
Mark
cayennep
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by cayennep »

I'm also finding the Word import problematic. Seems like something different happens every time I import this one doc - last time was TOC bookmarks in each topic, so imported the doc with no TOC (it's small so just as easy to recreate, but going forward this is painful). I'm now saving as *.doc instead of *.dotx to see if that eliminates some of the questionable xml.

I would like to use Flare's default style.css stylesheet, and not bring in any of the styles that were created somewhat randomly. But, since they are list styles, I can't do this as there's nothing to map 'em to.

It seems like I'll have to do major mods to the Word docs before bringing them in, which is not ideal. Any suggestions would be welcome!!
cayennep
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by cayennep »

So it seems possible that, if there are list styles in a Word doc you're importing, Flare will create a styles1.css file - and I can't see any difference between this one and the styles.css one, which is what I pointed to and what I want to use.

In my case, I did _not_ want to preserve any Word formatting from the doc, but I still get this extra stylesheet.

They're checking this out, but it may indicate some general weirdness about mapping list styles when importing Word.
wclass
Propellus Maximus

Post by wclass »

I reported a similar bug way back in version 4.1 (see forum comments http://forums.madcapsoftware.com/viewto ... f=5&t=7191). This bug was meant to be fixed in v5.0 (I got a letter saying it was!) - the main problems went away (deleting the original css, but I have seen cases similar to yours recently (but Idon't import so much any more).

I'll see if I can repeat it in v6.1.
Margaret Hassall - Melbourne
cayennep
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by cayennep »

Thanks for this!
FYI, it should be repeatable - I was on the phone with Madcap engineer, who thought the designated stylesheet needed to be outside the current project, but when he tried that it didn't work either - still created style1.css

This would be great to resolve, as my first tasks are going to be importing word docs.
berniexmeyer
Propeller Head

Post by berniexmeyer »

I am just now hitting this issue in my attempt to design the "least inefficient" import of legacy WORD docs into Flare. I know very little about CSS, but I was wondering, if you knew how to write the desired list structures and elements directly in your CSS file, then during the import process, specified that CSS file as your style sheet, wouldn't those list styles show up as "Flare" styles on your paragraph mapping page, so you could map your WORD list styles to them?
- Bernie Meyer, Concept Publications