Search Tab Not Working

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the Microsoft HTML Help target.
This target produces "CHM" files in the output.
Patrick McCormack
Jr. Propeller Head

Re: Search Tab Not Working

Post by Patrick McCormack »

I'm also running into this problem. Unfortunately, I've run into a snag on registering itcc.dll.

I'm working on Windows 7 Pro 64-bit. I ran cmd.exe as an administrator, but when I try to register the .DLL, I get the following error:

The module "itcc.dll" failed to load.
Make sure the binary is stored at the specific path or debug it to check for problems with the binary or dependent .DLL files.
The specified module could not be found.

I replaced the .DLL with a downloaded copy, just in case it had gotten corrupted somehow, but no luck.

Anyone got any ideas?
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

Where did you store the DLL? Win 7 is quite finicky where you put files and what you do with them.
Andrew
Propellus Maximus

Post by Andrew »

From the MCKB (MadCap Knowledgebase):
Note for Windows 7 64-bit Users: The following steps must be taken to register the DLL on Windows 7 64-bit.

1.In Windows Explorer, navigate to C:\WINDOWS\system32.

2.Right-click on the file cmd.exe and select the option to run it as an administrator. The command prompt window opens.

3.At the command prompt, type the following and press Enter:

4.cd "C:\Program Files (x86)\MadCap Software\MadCap Flare V6\Flare.app\Resources\bin"

5.Type RegisterItcc.bat and press Enter.

6.Close the command prompt window.
From article OUTH1003F.

Hope that helps!
Flare v6.1 | Capture 4.0.0
Patrick McCormack
Jr. Propeller Head

RamonS wrote:Where did you store the DLL? Win 7 is quite finicky where you put files and what you do with them.
Hi, Ramon.

I left it where it was:
C:\Program Files (x86)\MadCap Software\MadCap Flare V6.1\Flare.app\Resources\Bin

Is there a better place to drop it?
Andrew
Propellus Maximus

Post by Andrew »

Patrick McCormack wrote:
RamonS wrote:Where did you store the DLL? Win 7 is quite finicky where you put files and what you do with them.
Hi, Ramon.

I left it where it was:
C:\Program Files (x86)\MadCap Software\MadCap Flare V6.1\Flare.app\Resources\Bin

Is there a better place to drop it?
Nope, you have it in the right place. You need to execute it from a privilege-elevated command prompt. I quoted the instructions from MadCap a couple of posts above.
Patrick McCormack
Jr. Propeller Head

Andrew wrote:Nope, you have it in the right place. You need to execute it from a privilege-elevated command prompt. I quoted the instructions from MadCap a couple of posts above.
Unfortunately, that's exactly what I did do. I ran the BAT file following those instructions and got the error I mentioned.
Andrew
Propellus Maximus

Post by Andrew »

I would contact MadCap Support about this issue. Something's not right there, but I'm afraid I don't know what it is.
i-tietz
Propellus Maximus

Post by i-tietz »

Patrick McCormack wrote:Unfortunately, that's exactly what I did do. I ran the BAT file following those instructions and got the error I mentioned.
Ideas? Quite a few:
Do you have the chance to check whether that is a problem on your PC only? Then you might have to reinstall Flare again. It night be a problem with the HTML Help Workshop.

People working with W7: Does ist still have a hh.dat file?
If yes, try this: Make sure the help and the IE are closed and delete hh.dat. Then open the IE and get rid of the history + temporary internet files ... and try building again.
Other way to check on the same mechanism: rename the output file in the target then build the help.

Is the help file on a local drive or on a network drive? Itf it's on a network drive security settings might interfere.

Do you have the right to register dlls on your PC? Do you have the right to change files in that directory (structure)?
You might want to check with your sys admin.
rjhoughton
Propeller Head

Post by rjhoughton »

I had to get my sys admin to do this for me when I got this same error. It's a security/privilege issue.

Rachel
Patrick McCormack wrote:I'm also running into this problem. Unfortunately, I've run into a snag on registering itcc.dll.

I'm working on Windows 7 Pro 64-bit. I ran cmd.exe as an administrator, but when I try to register the .DLL, I get the following error:

The module "itcc.dll" failed to load.
Make sure the binary is stored at the specific path or debug it to check for problems with the binary or dependent .DLL files.
The specified module could not be found.

I replaced the .DLL with a downloaded copy, just in case it had gotten corrupted somehow, but no luck.

Anyone got any ideas?
peachy
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by peachy »

In Windows 7, try to register the itcc.dll in 'elevated mode'.
Olga Kiri
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by Olga Kiri »

I have the same problem when performing search in chm files generated by Flare 7.0 (on Windows XP), what shall I do then?
bubbanaut
Propeller Head

Post by bubbanaut »

I have the same problem when performing search in chm files generated by Flare 7.0 (on Windows XP), what shall I do then?
Hi Olga - You have a pretty name. I had this issue in Flare 8 on XP, and registering the itcc.dll solved the issue. Here's how (forgive me if this is too basic, but I'm an instruction writer - occupational hazard):

- Start, Run
- Type "CMD" in the Open field and click OK.
The command window opens - you are now using DOS, you brave girl!
- Type "cd\" and press Enter - the command prompt should now be C:\> (assuming your native drive is C:)
- Type "cd Program Files\MadCap Software\MadCap Flare V7\Flare.app\Resources\Bin" (you can change directory - cd - to each folder
indivdually, as I did - less opportunity for typos that way)
- Press Enter - your prompt should now read "C:\>Program Files\MadCap Software\MadCap Flare V7\Flare.app\Resources\Bin"
- Type "regsvr32 itcc.dll" and press Enter
- You will receive a confirmation message

Now, delete the .CHM from your Output file and generate a new one. I can't keep my fingers crossed until then, but I believe this will work.

Cordially,

Steve
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

For future reference, the instructions are also in a KB article --> http://kb.madcapsoftware.com/default_CSH.htm#OUTH1003F. I mention it because it also provides info for people using Windows 7 64-bit.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.