Table won't break across pages

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
ddiemetric
Propeller Head

Table won't break across pages

Post by ddiemetric »

I have the <tr> page-break-inside property set to "auto," but my tables will not break across pages. The table begins on the next page, althought there is plenty of room on the preceding page for most of the table.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
wclass
Propellus Maximus

Re: Table won't break across pages

Post by wclass »

Some paragraphs inside your row might be overriding that option. For example, if you have a paragraph inside a table that is set to keep with next para (that is, page-break-after is set to "avoid") then that might be keeping the table together.
Margaret Hassall - Melbourne
ddiemetric
Propeller Head

Post by ddiemetric »

Thanks. I ended up contacting Support.

They had me remove the "avoid page break" between the table title and the table, as well as any in headings that precede the table. The tables break fine now, but now I have to go through a 700-page book and manually change any badly-breaking headings to "always" break before, and there's a LOT of them. This is a major pain because I have to change the first one I come across and then regenrerate the entire book to see how everything falls after that heading to find the next bad break. Do you know how long it takes Flare to regenate a 700-page PDF? Major, major pain ...

Support said they know that the table features "have issues," which they are working on.
pdenchfield
Propellus Maximus

Post by pdenchfield »

One way to avoid the major hassle of rebuilding after every page break change is to revamp your stylesheet so it doesn't avoid page breaks anywhere. Some styles you may want to set to page break after. Rebuild the target and see which styles you want to add page breaks back to. This way you're changing the stylesheet instead of the topics. Good luck!
ddiemetric
Propeller Head

Post by ddiemetric »

Thanks.

Yeah, I found that changing my stylesheet to "auto" for before and after works best, but then I still have to regenerate the PDF to locate any headings that are at the bottom of a page. Then I have to go back into Flare and apply an "avoid" (before or after) just to that instance, and then regenerate.
pdenchfield
Propellus Maximus

Post by pdenchfield »

I wonder if there is a "keep with next" property? If the only thing you're trying to avoid is a heading that appears alone at the bottom of a page, I'd set all headings to this "keep with next" property (assuming it exists). :-)
ddiemetric
Propeller Head

Post by ddiemetric »

That's what the "avoid" setting is, basically, a "keep-with-next."

Anyhow, I finally found a combination that works well: Set page-break-before to "auto" and set page-break-after to "avoid"

Yay.
pdenchfield
Propellus Maximus

Post by pdenchfield »

That's great! Hopefully this finding eliminated the need to iteratively review and fix the output.