How to make output look like preview

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

How to make output look like preview

Post by RamonS »

Running into a weird issue with Flare 6. A heading style and the indentation are shown correctly in the editor and preview, but are plain wrong in the output. The correct style sheet is applied to the target (project has only one) and the changes made are for medium:print. That is also what is set for the editor to use.
How do I get the output to look like the preview? The preview is exactly what I want.
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: How to make output look like preview

Post by LTinker68 »

RamonS wrote:A heading style and the indentation are shown correctly in the editor and preview...
Is the editor set to web output or print output?

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

Print output, for both medium and layout. I just tried it again, editor looks good, preview looks awesome, PDF output doesn't look even close.
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

Do you have screenshots showing it in the XML Editor and the PDF output?

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

The preview is just whatever the default target is set to be; so I'm assuming your preview is a PDF? (with correct medium)

Is it a fairly simple layout you're using, or are there any other factors that could be coming into play?
E.g. you may get unexpected results in PDFs if you use divs or complex selectors.
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

Rob in support pointed this out:
There is an option in the target/advanced tab that is checked.
"Use TOC Depth for heading levels"
That shifts the heading levels based on what the heading level is now plus one for each ToC level. In my case I had an h2 in the second level, which ends up in the PDF as an h3. So when changing the properties for h2 it doesn't do anything in the end because it isn't an h2 heading any longer. I yet have to confirm this, but I am fairly sure that is it.
The editor and preview have no idea which target gets used for a target, so they take it at current face value.

One round of applause for MadCap's support! *clapclap*
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

RamonS wrote:Rob in support pointed this out:
There is an option in the target/advanced tab that is checked.
"Use TOC Depth for heading levels"
That shifts the heading levels based on what the heading level is now plus one for each ToC level. In my case I had an h2 in the second level, which ends up in the PDF as an h3. So when changing the properties for h2 it doesn't do anything in the end because it isn't an h2 heading any longer. I yet have to confirm this, but I am fairly sure that is it.
The editor and preview have no idea which target gets used for a target, so they take it at current face value.

One round of applause for MadCap's support! *clapclap*
It's probably worth pointing out that it's not necessarily modifying an h1 to an h2, it's based on what styles have the mc-heading-level property set; i.e. the style with mc-heading-level: 1 is modified to the style with mc-heading-level: 2.

Say you have h1 (mc-heading-level: 1) and h2 (mc-heading-level: 2) ; then your h1s can become h2s (as in your case).

Or if you have h1 (mc-heading-level: 1) and h1.level2 (mc-heading-level: 2) ; then your h1s can become h1.level2.

I used the second approach, as I wanted my h1s to stay as h1s, and not end up as smaller heading levels. I also wanted only the 'real' h1 topic headings to appear in the TOC, and not the h2-h4 headings that I use within topics.