Cross reference the same topic in > 1 place?

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
curlynshort
Propeller Head

Cross reference the same topic in > 1 place?

Post by curlynshort »

(Forgive me if this has already been asked. I searched for cross-reference topics and there were so many that I gave up checking after half an hour.)
I'm trying to build a PDF book that contains two instances of the same topic file (one in a section dealling with Windows 2003 and another in a section dealing with Windows 2008).
In the introduction to the Windows 2003 section, I want to insert a cross-reference to the first occurrence of this topic (which appears on page 7), and in the introduction to the Windows 2008 section, I want to insert a cross-reference to the second occurrence of the topic (which appears on page 15).
Unfortunately, when I build the book, both cross-references point to page 15.
Is there any way of achieving what I want to do without duplicating the topic file? I've tried using separate bookmarks within the target topic, but this doesn't work.
Thanks,
Rowena
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Cross reference the same topic in > 1 place?

Post by Nita Beck »

I don't think that there is way to get the cross-references to work as you envision given that you're pointing to the same topic. But here is a different way that can support what you want:

1. Put the content in a snippet file.

2. Create one topic that pulls in that snippet. That can be the topic that will appear on page 7.

3. Create a second topic that pulls in that same snippet. That can be the topic that will appear on page 15.

Yes, you'll have two topics, which will support the cross-referencing you want, but you'll have only one instance of the content to maintain, in the snippet file.

Hope this helps.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
curlynshort
Propeller Head

Post by curlynshort »

That works for me! I was thinking of a more complicated solution that involved creating the file as an import, but this is much simpler.
Thank you!
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

For online output (if you're doing online output), you might want to set one of those topics to not be searchable, otherwise two identical topics could be returned, which will just confuse your users.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.