Save To... PDF

This forum is for all Flare related Tips and Tricks.
Have a tip or trick you use while working in Flare? Share it here.
Ineffable
Sr. Propeller Head

Save To... PDF

Post by Ineffable »

I am trying to save a topic to PDF. I select File > Save To... and select PDF. The PDF is generated, but any images that are in the topic do not show up. Just little gray squares where the images should be.

This occurs with any topic.

Any help is appreciated.
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Save To... PDF

Post by Nita Beck »

Sorry, my experimenting won't be helpful. I tried your steps on several of my topics and, in each case, the images showed up just fine. I don't know what to suggest.

If you output the topics to a PDF target, do the images show up then? Or are they missing there, too?
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
Ineffable
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Ineffable »

Nita Beck wrote:Sorry, my experimenting won't be helpful. I tried your steps on several of my topics and, in each case, the images showed up just fine. I don't know what to suggest.

If you output the topics to a PDF target, do the images show up then? Or are they missing there, too?
They do show up in a PDF target.

Another strange behavior is that the default image Flare uses for the Related Topics dropdown is also missing, as well as a graphic I use in the master page footer.
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

Hmmm, what's the smiley face for scratching one's head? I'm not quite cryin', but this will have to do: :cry:

I don't know what to suggest. I've looked all over Flare on your behalf to see where there might be some setting that controls something. I can't explain why it seems to forget where to find your images for Save To PDF but not for building your PDF target.

This is just a hunch: Perhaps something about relative vs. absolute paths? What does the code for the calls to the images look like?
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
Ineffable
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Ineffable »

Nita Beck wrote:Hmmm, what's the smiley face for scratching one's head? I'm not quite cryin', but this will have to do: :cry:

I don't know what to suggest. I've looked all over Flare on your behalf to see where there might be some setting that controls something. I can't explain why it seems to forget where to find your images for Save To PDF but not for building your PDF target.

This is just a hunch: Perhaps something about relative vs. absolute paths? What does the code for the calls to the images look like?
Hmmm, that's a good lead.

The path for one of the disappearing pictures is relative (../../../../../Resources/Images/image.jpg).

I moved the picture to the same folder as the topic and didn't work either. I've tried placing the image a few different ways (dragging it into the place, using the Insert > Picture command, to no avail). I also tried (./image.jpg) and that didn't work.

NOTE: I am using Flare v6, but this issue was also present in previous versions. I am using the Save To... command instead generating using a target because I need only individual files of only select topics. The PDF target generates one large PDF instead of individual files. I have tried using the Generate multiple documents for native XPS/PDF output command in the PDF target, but that doesn't seem to do anything.
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

I don't use the Save To... PDF feature so I'm not familiar with it, but you could create a test PDF target pointing to a test TOC that has only one topic in it, then generate that test target. I do that and it's simple enough to swap topics in and out of the TOC.

Other than that, you might want to submit a bug report at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
DocuWil
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by DocuWil »

What I do very often:

Set the Primary target to PDF.
Put you cursor in the topic (XML Editor) and click Preview compile topic. It is the 2nd button from the left.
The PDF is created and you can save from the PDF.
Wil Veenstra

Documentation and Training Centre
Infologic Nederland
(Using Flare 11.1.2, Capture 7.0.0 and Mimic 7.0.0 in Windows 10 64-bit)