Popup Window Color

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
empedocles
Propeller Head

Popup Window Color

Post by empedocles »

Sorry for this softball quesiton, but for the life of me, I can't figure out how to change the color of the Popup Window. I seem to have changed every color of every property in the stylesheet, and the popup still has a white background. Figuring another rookie has asked this question in the past, I've search the forum but haven't turned up anything. Thanks in advance.
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Popup Window Color

Post by LTinker68 »

I assume you're talking about the text popup effect (Insert > Text Popup)? If so, in the stylesheet, modify the background color of the MadCap|popupBody tag.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
empedocles
Propeller Head

Post by empedocles »

Thanks for the response. I'm referring to the topic popup, or is it the same as the text popup? I've read Flare's webhelp, followed the directions for changing the color property of the a.popop but nothing happens. Again, forgive my beginnerness.
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

If you're using a topic popup, then the background will be the colour of the topic itself - i.e. white by default.
You would have to change the background for the topic (tip - you could do this with a master page).

I'm assuming you mean the background to the topic itself, not the colour of the window's border or its shadow.
empedocles
Propeller Head

Post by empedocles »

That's absolutely what I mean. And stupid me, I didn't even connect topic popup with topic, treated them as separate entities. A master page it shall be (now I'll have to read up on those). Think I'm all set. Thanks for the help.
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

You'll want to read this KB article, too --> http://kb.madcapsoftware.com/default_CSH.htm#FMP1001F

Lisa
empedocles
Propeller Head

Post by empedocles »

Most helpful. Thanks. Compliments to the author of the article. :)
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

Actually, come to think of it you don't even need a master page.

You could do it just by adding a html class; e.g.

Code: Select all

html.popup
{
	background-color: #fbf8f0;
}
Then just apply that to your topics; e.g. either right-click the html tag and select the class, or open the topic properties and pick it from the Topic Style Class.
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

I agree with Dave, although if you decide to use masterpages to add breadcrumbs, for instance, then you'll want to use the two masterpage approach so you don't have breadcrumbs in your popup topic. And I do recommend adding breadcrumbs to your online output.

Lisa
empedocles
Propeller Head

Post by empedocles »

The advice just keeps getting better and better. Thanks to both of you.
empedocles
Propeller Head

Post by empedocles »

Last question on this, I promise (and aplogize): html tag works great, popup window the color I want; however, there's a big space at the top of the popup before the text begins, requiring a vertical scroll bar. I've fiddled with margins, padding, auto sizing, etc., but haven't figured out how to eliminate the space at the top.
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

Are you using a second masterpage for that popup window or just going with Dave's suggestion of specifying a custom html class?

Lisa
empedocles
Propeller Head

Post by empedocles »

Specifying a custom class. I'm guessing I'd need to use a master page?
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

No, it just means that the topic in the popup window is inheriting some of the same spacing that you have in your normal topics. Assuming, that is, that you have the same type of spacing at the top of your normal topics. For instance, do you have top margins specified on your paragraph tag, or a top margin or padding specified on the body tag? If so, you'd need to create custom classes for those tags and apply them to the body or first paragraph tag of your popup topic content.

Lisa
empedocles
Propeller Head

Post by empedocles »

Indeed, margins specified in paragraph and body tags, so created custom classes, changed all to zero (made sure all padding was zero, too) and still have the same big margin at top. I won't blame you if you don't respond. :cry:
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

Open your popup topic in the Text Editor and see if there are any inline styles that could cause the extra space, and check for empty tags. Also, double-check that your custom html class doesn't have any padding or margins in it.

Lisa
empedocles
Propeller Head

Post by empedocles »

Did what you suggested, I think. No luck. Man, my lack of intuition is staggering, positively staggering. Goodnight, everybody! Drive safely!!
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

Does it look like all of the content is in the popup topic? Any chance you may have applied a paragraph class that has its display set to hidden?

If all else fails, create a new test topic that has just the default text in it (header and "Delete this text...") and create a popup link to the topic. Build the help and see if it has the gap. If it doesn't, apply the html class to the popup topic and rebuild it and see if it has the gap. If you see the gap with the initial, new popup topic, then it's not the other topic that has the problem, it's because there's a style somewhere with a margin or padding set. If it doesn't happen with the initial popup topic but does happen after you apply the html class, then you know it's an attribute of that html class.

I don't think the a.Popup class could be affecting this since that would control the hyperlink style, but there are Flare-specific height and width fields for that class, so if you inadvertently set padding or something on that class then perhaps those would have an affect.

Lisa