Quickly combine two (or more) tables into one?

This forum is for all Flare related Tips and Tricks.
Have a tip or trick you use while working in Flare? Share it here.
Phlawm53
Sr. Propeller Head

Quickly combine two (or more) tables into one?

Post by Phlawm53 »

Does anyone know an efficient and safe way to quickly combine two identical table styles, both with the same number of columns, into one table?

I've done a couple by putting the tables one after another in the topic editor, then hand-editing the XML. But this is a fidgety and perilous business and so I wonder if there's some quicker way to do it that I just haven't been able to locate.

Cheers & thanks,
Riley
Andrew
Propellus Maximus

Re: Quickly combine two (or more) tables into one?

Post by Andrew »

I typically decide which table I want to use, then I give it as many rows as I will need. Finally, I copy from the other table (highlighting rows I want to copy), then highlight the rows in the destination table that will contain the data from the other table, and paste.
Flare v6.1 | Capture 4.0.0
Phlawm53
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Quickly combine two (or more) tables into one?

Post by Phlawm53 »

I'll add that having experimented with a few different techniques, I found that editing the XML was fastest.

The assumptions are that I have two (or more) tables that use the same table CSS, and that each of those identical table types has the same number of columns.

I first use the WYSIWYG topic editor to remove all intervening content from between the two tables.

I then open the topic in Flare's XML editor, delete from the first table's closing tag through the second tables header definition, then save the file without closing it in the XML editor.

Next I view the results in the WYSIWYG topic editor. The topic editor reports if I've mangled the XML structure; if by chance I have, I can go back to the unclosed XML editor and use Undo to retrieve the stuff I deleted, then try again. If the WYSIWYG editor doesn't report any problems, and the table "join" looks good, I then close the XML editor or repeat the process with any additional tables.

Sounds like a lot of steps, but it turned out to be as fast if not faster than trying to combine the tables in the WYSIWYG editor.

Cheers & hope this helps.