Table of Contents Presentation

This forum is for all Flare issues related to styles, stylesheets and XML.
Bonnie Kern
Propeller Head

Table of Contents Presentation

Post by Bonnie Kern »

I have attempted to modify the Flare 6.1 styles for TOC entries to produce the Table of Contents sample shown below, with chapter # on the left and page # on the right with no leaders. Although I have spent much time in trial-and-error, and using the Flare documentation, the settings are not rendering the correct output; neither Unclassified for TOC1...n, nor xref.TocPageNumber, nor tocProxy are producing what we need.

We are single-sourcing content to multiple outputs, and do not want to modify the existing h1 style. However, we need to adhere to Corporate standards.

Is it possible to present the Table of Contents in this format? If so, what are the correct key combinations of settings?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lacastle
Propellus Maximus

Re: Table of Contents Presentation

Post by lacastle »

is this for pdf output?
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

If this is a TOC or miniTOC proxy, then the style I think you need to edit is p.TOC1. I have a sneaky suspicion that you can add some kind of auto-number relating to the chapter, but you'd have to wait for an expert to come along and explain how, as I haven't tried it myself.
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx
Bonnie Kern
Propeller Head

Post by Bonnie Kern »

This presentation is for PDF output.
Bonnie Kern
Propeller Head

Post by Bonnie Kern »

Thanks. I have modified the settings for p.TOC1, and other styles as mentioned above, but the combination I have tried has not yielded the desired output. I am trying to have the page number placed just to the right of the chapter title, and the chapter number on the left.

Can anyone answer if the presentation shown above is possible? Or, is there a bug with the settings, causing them to not have any effect, such as the leader settings? :?:

I have researched everything I can find on the forum, but to no avail.

Thanks much!
lacastle
Propellus Maximus

Post by lacastle »

Have you tried editing the mc-auto-number-format and mc-auto-number-offset properties for p.TOC1? -format would be the auto chapter number, and -offset would be the left margin hang.

and mc-leader-align, format, and offset?

If not p.TOC1, then try MadCap|tocProxy. I'm not totally sure which one would apply here.
Bonnie Kern
Propeller Head

Post by Bonnie Kern »

Yes, thank you. I can set the mc-leader format to a blank space, and set then the offset, which moves the page number in from the right margin the amount of the offset, thus aligning all page numbers in from the right. No matter which settings I try, the page number will not position next to the right side of the heading. Is there another setting I can try, or can Flare just not accomplish it? :?:

(Because the MadCap|tocProxy sets the overall look of the TOC, adding a chapter number to it adds the C# to the TOC itself, which does not meet our needs.)

The chapter # is a little more tricky because to achieve our corporate standard, we have placed the System.ChapterNumber variable in a table in the page layout header frame. Is it possible for the p.TOC1 definition to pick up the chapter number from the page layout header frame for the chapter? If so, what setting will accomplish it? :?:

Overall I just need to know if Flare can achieve these needs. If not, I just need to know. :?: Please help. Thank you.
cbdebris
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by cbdebris »

Because TOCs are kinda awkward in Flare -- the numbers are in one column of a table, the content in another -- you may not be able to have the page numbers follow the content by a specified amount (say, 4 ems).
All life is a blur of Republicans and meat. -- Zippy the Pinhead