DITA outputclass attribute ignored on import?

This forum is for all Flare issues related to importing files or projects.
super-structure
Propeller Head

DITA outputclass attribute ignored on import?

Post by super-structure »

I'm using Flare v6.1.0 to import a DITAMAP (and associated .xml files) into a project for producing a .PDF deliverable. I've noticed that my outputclass attributes on various elements seem to be ignored. This is surprising, as these are generally used to generate element classes in transformed output from the DITA-OT.

Here's an example of a line from one of my DITA topics:

Code: Select all

<p outputclass="equation">f = 18/√(δ) </p> 
But that same line is imported into Flare as:

Code: Select all

<p>f = 18/√(δ) </p>
Are these ignored by Flare during the import? It seems like these could easily be honored (or appended onto assigned classes, as with some of the other DITA elements that get assigned as classes to <span> or <p> elements in Flare XHTML.
-Jason Coleman, P.E.

Sr. Manager Technical Content
Bentley Systems, Inc.
denisehale
Jr. Propeller Head

Re: DITA outputclass attribute ignored on import?

Post by denisehale »

I recently encountered this issue myself. Here's the response I got from support:
I checked in our bug base and there has been a feature suggestion requesting support for "outputclass" attribute. The feature suggestion was entered on 10/18/2010 and its currently set as "Pending Dev" which means that development is looking at the issue and hopefully, it will be addressed in the next version of Flare. In addition, I have added a new bug/feature suggestion regarding the same issue, the current bug number is 40736. Hopefully, a fix will be included in the next version of Flare.

Does anyone have a workaround for this?
wbrisett
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by wbrisett »

I have no solution for this, but I'm the one who entered the original bug. I need it for tables. :(
wbrisett
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by wbrisett »

super-structure wrote:I'm using Flare v6.1.0 to import a DITAMAP (and associated .xml files) into a project for producing a .PDF deliverable. I've noticed that my outputclass attributes on various elements seem to be ignored. This is surprising, as these are generally used to generate element classes in transformed output from the DITA-OT.
For better (rather than worse) MadCap isn't using Open Toolkit (it's the whole reason I'm using Flare, a serious bug prevented me from generating my books, but Flare with a little coaxing worked fine).

That being said, you're correct, the output class should be honored somehow. Thus the bug in MadCap's database. I have several outstanding bugs regarding DITA imports, and whenever I've asked in the past on this forum about DITA, few if any people were actually using DITA, so it didn't sound like it was going to be a high priority for MadCap, but I'm very happy to see other DITA users because I suspect as they grow in that space, we'll start seeing some additional effort in that area for MadCap. They are after all on the OASIS committee.
super-structure
Propeller Head

I am also using Flare for production of Printed (.PDF) output in lieu of a DITA OT. It is certainly far easier to use for that purpose.

However, not being able to make use of the outputclass in DITA severely hampers this. I do hope that this is correctly soon, as I suspect they have already done all the hard stuff in terms of translating between DITA/XML & XHTML.
-Jason Coleman, P.E.

Bentley Systems, Inc.
forfear
Propellus Maximus

Post by forfear »

wbrisett wrote:
super-structure wrote:I'm using Flare v6.1.0 to import a DITAMAP (and associated .xml files) into a project for producing a .PDF deliverable. I've noticed that my outputclass attributes on various elements seem to be ignored. This is surprising, as these are generally used to generate element classes in transformed output from the DITA-OT.
For better (rather than worse) MadCap isn't using Open Toolkit (it's the whole reason I'm using Flare, a serious bug prevented me from generating my books, but Flare with a little coaxing worked fine).

That being said, you're correct, the output class should be honored somehow. Thus the bug in MadCap's database. I have several outstanding bugs regarding DITA imports, and whenever I've asked in the past on this forum about DITA, few if any people were actually using DITA, so it didn't sound like it was going to be a high priority for MadCap, but I'm very happy to see other DITA users because I suspect as they grow in that space, we'll start seeing some additional effort in that area for MadCap. They are after all on the OASIS committee.
I don't see DITA becoming a passing trend in the next few years.
Not least for serious structured authoring, and not something serious technical writers should ignore. Its not for every industry, of course. But its more than just a good skill to have - its a potential differentiator.

If anything its picking up steam. Until new DITA specializations start maturing in other fields or gradually become adopted standards for information development in other industries.
If you submit your bug feedback request here, the more likely it'll get fixed or included in a future release
Open Utilities PageLayout Resizer for Flare/Blaze | Batch builder
super-structure
Propeller Head

I'll keep that in mind as I use DITA to create product deliverables. The first one is shipping this week.
-Jason Coleman, P.E.

Bentley Systems, Inc.