System.OutOfMemoryException

This Forum is for General Issues about Mimic
BedfordWriter
Sr. Propeller Head

System.OutOfMemoryException

Post by BedfordWriter »

Does anyone else get that error when building a project? I'm running Mimic 4 on a Vista 32 bit machine with 4G of ram. You'd think that should be enough, given that a 32 bit operating system can't see any more than 4G of ram...

The movie in question is NOT very big. I've tried both Flash and Silverlight outputs.
khettinger
Jr. Propeller Head

Re: System.OutOfMemoryException

Post by khettinger »

Prior to building I have to exit Mimic, re-open it, and then build. Otherwise I always get this error.

I suppose some of my movies are big, though I'm not sure how big is too big!

I'm running Mimic v5, Windows XP, 2 GB of RAM, and am outputting to Flash.
andrew_s
Propeller Head

Post by andrew_s »

I am getting the same error. I am using a trial version prior to deciding whether to use Mimic or Camtasia, but since I use Flare 7 I'd like to be able to continue with another MadCap product.

I have followed the above suggestion, but I still get the same error. I'm running Mimic 5.0.0 (dated 04 Oct 2010) on Win 7 SP1 with 4GB RAM.

If anyone has found another resolution for this issue, I'd be interested in knowing before making the purchase.

Thank you.
wisefolly
Propeller Head

Post by wisefolly »

I was receiving the same error when using Mimic and PowerPoint at the same time. I was a little surprised b/c i too have 4GB RAM.

The sad part is that i would get the message after recording an entire video. I would also get a message stating that the Record function failed. I had to exit/restart Mimic each time.

I also had problems uploading large Mimic files to Powerpoint. For some reason, PowerPoint wouldn't show .swf videos over a certain size (usually 25MB). To solve this, i created hyperlinks to the .htm files.
andrew_s
Propeller Head

Post by andrew_s »

wisefolly wrote:The sad part is that i would get the message after recording an entire video. I would also get a message stating that the Record function failed. I had to exit/restart Mimic each time.
Same here (sorry, I neglected to mention this part in my post above). I did not have PowerPoint running but I do have Outlook 2007 running and Firefox 3.6.22, along with Mimic 5.

I think it might have been due to the large (long) recording I had made, because when I went back and created a quick (1-2 minute) video, I did not get the error. I just spoke with Jose (thanks Jose!) in MadCap Tech Support and he said it's most likely machine-specific resources issue. However, I just also tried it on another machine and had the same issue. Once shortening the video, all's well. I was publishing to Silverlight, btw.
wisefolly
Propeller Head

Post by wisefolly »

On Win 7, I had the following running: Outlook 2010, Mimic v5, Adobe Acrobat X Standard and PowerPoint.

I would get the error when i would start a new video after having stopped a previous video and deleting its frames (sometimes i made mistakes). Deleting the messed up frames before starting a new recording seemed to cause the error for me. If i didn't delete them before, i wouldn't get the error...weird.

Unfortunately, I figured this out much too late.