table page-break-inside has no effect

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
rlauriston
Sr. Propeller Head

table page-break-inside has no effect

Post by rlauriston »

I followed the instructions in Features > Tables > More About Tables > Setting Page Breaks for Table Rows and set page-break-inside for Medium: print to "avoid."

Tables are still breaking across pages. Suggestions?

Flare 6.1. PDF target.
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: table page-break-inside has no effect

Post by NorthEast »

rlauriston wrote:Tables are still breaking across pages. Suggestions?
Do you mean tables or table rows?
Tables will still break across pages, it just won't break in the middle of a table row.

Also, double-check that the target is using the print medium (in Advanced tab).
rlauriston
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by rlauriston »

Oh, of course. So what I want is probably page-break-inside:avoid in the table style properties.
rlauriston
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by rlauriston »

For future refrence, I created a table.nobreak class wtih page-break-inside set to avoid, and it's working, but not if the table tags are wrapped in p tags.
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

rlauriston wrote:For future refrence, I created a table.nobreak class wtih page-break-inside set to avoid, and it's working, but not if the table tags are wrapped in p tags.
If you mean you have a paragraph inside a table cell, then it doesn't work because the paragraph tag is closer to the text, so its style definition overrides the style definition of the td tag, which is inheriting from the tr tag which inherits from the table tag. If you want this to also work when a paragraph is inside a table cell, you'll have to create the complex selector shown below. To do that, open the topic stylesheet in the Internal Text Editor and type what's written below.

Code: Select all

td p {
   page-break-inside:avoid;
}

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
Patt
Propeller Head

Post by Patt »

I set my table style to page-break-inside: avoid and I also added the td.p {page-break-inside: avoid;} for those cases where my table cells have p tags in them. But the table row still breaks at a page break. I would love to figure this out because we have hundreds of tables and it requires a lot of post-processing. Any suggestions on what I might be missing?

Thanks,
Patt
Andrew
Propellus Maximus

Post by Andrew »

Patt wrote:I set my table style to page-break-inside: avoid and I also added the td.p {page-break-inside: avoid;} for those cases where my table cells have p tags in them. But the table row still breaks at a page break. I would love to figure this out because we have hundreds of tables and it requires a lot of post-processing. Any suggestions on what I might be missing?

Thanks,
Patt
Is this a Word document, or a PDF? For PDFs, Ltinker68's fix should work. If it's Word, no amount of page-break-inside: avoid will work; it's one of the things that's broken in Word output.
Flare v6.1 | Capture 4.0.0
Patt
Propeller Head

Post by Patt »

Andrew, thanks for your response. It is a Word output. That confirms what I was thinking - that this must be a bug. :(

Patt
lchid71
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by lchid71 »

Try this:

Open the table stylesheet that you're using for the table.
Click the General tab.
Click the Advanced button.
In the Breaks window, adjust your Widows & Orphans to 0. However, you may be able to leave the Orphans at default.
Click OK.