Conditional Text for Topic

This forum is for Single-Sourcing your Flare content to multiple outputs.
sleid
Propeller Head

Conditional Text for Topic

Post by sleid »

Can I use conditional text in this scenario:

I have two topics, Topics 1 and 2, and each includes the same image map. I need to map the image to a certain topic that includes text for Topic 1 and slightly different text for Topic 2. I need both topics to be published in the help file but with the conditional text showing for each topic.

Is this possible? I have applied conditional tags on the actual text and applied conditional tag conditions to the topics, but all the text still shows when I build the project.

Thanks so much,
--Susan
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Conditional Text for Topic

Post by LTinker68 »

If I understand your situation, then no, you can't use conditional text that way. If both topics and corresponding text are going to be included in the same output, then you're not excluding either topic or text, which is what conditional tagging is based on (including and excluding). What you're looking for is more of an if/then situation -- if it's Topic 1, then this text is used, if it's Topic 2, this text is used. Flare doesn't have that capability built-in.

However, if you have to topics that use the same image and you're using image maps, then you're already in a separate state. That is, the image map coordinates are saved in the topic, not in the image file itself. So if you put a square hotspot on the image in Topic 1 and a square hotspot in the exact same position on the image in Topic 2, then what you set up to happen when either of those hotspots is clicked is specified in each topic, so you control what happens. So the hotspot in Topic 1 could call up a popup whose content is provided by Topic 3, and the hotspot in Topic 2 could call up a popup whose content is provided by Topic 4.

Does that make sense, or am I missing the point of what you're trying to do?

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
sleid
Propeller Head

Post by sleid »

Yes, that is what I am asking. I didn't think it would be possible but thought I would ask before setting up multiple topics that are nearly the same text.

Thanks so much for responding! :D
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

LTinker68 wrote:If I understand your situation, then no, you can't use conditional text that way. If both topics and corresponding text are going to be included in the same output, then you're not excluding either topic or text, which is what conditional tagging is based on (including and excluding). What you're looking for is more of an if/then situation -- if it's Topic 1, then this text is used, if it's Topic 2, this text is used. Flare doesn't have that capability built-in.
Actually, Flare does have that capacity - you can use snippet conditions.

First you set up your content in a snippet, and set which parts are conditional.
Then you insert the snippet into your topics, and for each topic you can set its Snippet Conditions (in topic properties) to include/exclude conditions for that particular topic.

So you can have multiple combinations of conditions in the same output.
i-tietz
Propellus Maximus

Post by i-tietz »

Theoretically that's true, but not for the case sleid described.
You cannot automatically apply one image map for one condition and another image map on the same pic with another condition.

What sleid CAN DO, is:
1a) Build image map 1, open the text editor and copy the produced code to a text file.
1b) Build image map 2, open the text editor and copy back the saved code from the text file.
1c) Insert the relevant conditional tags into those two maps.

OR

1a) Insert the image twice and then apply the relevant image map to each one.
1b) Assign the conditions to those two images.

THEN

2) Insert the snippet into the two topics and use snippet conditions in the files to see just that part you want to see.
Inge____________________________
"I need input! - Have you got input?"