target comments

This forum is for Single-Sourcing your Flare content to multiple outputs.
helseykc
Propeller Head

target comments

Post by helseykc »

Hello,

I was wondering if there is any use for the "Comment" field on the General tab in a target... It would be very useful. I have a project X and from it I create lots of different kids of guide - integration guide, user guides etc. What would be really good is if I could put the specific document name in the comment field for a target and use that on my cover page. I'm trying to reuse as much as possible but Flare isn't making it easy for me a lot of the time! I often need specific variables for my targets but there are only project-wide variables... I have come across a problem before where this would have helped - although the comment field could of course only be used for one term - target specific variables would help me soooooooooooo much! Any ideas anyone?

Thanks in advance!

Helen
nickatwork
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: target comments

Post by nickatwork »

You can set global variables at target level. i.e. book_name and then set it at each target. I do exactly that, 1 title page for all 12 books. A variable in that title page, and then I set the variable in each target. Check out the Variable tab in the Target. You can change them there.
helseykc
Propeller Head

Post by helseykc »

Ah yes, I've found a previous post I submitted, similar kind of problem: http://forums.madcapsoftware.com/viewto ... =9&t=12712 in which I wanted to set a window title in a skin. I want to reuse my skins though so setting the window title (caption) in the master skin is results in the same window title for every project in which the skin is used... I had suggested a project level window title, but makes more sense for it to be set at target level - as granular as possible to make things more reusable!
helseykc
Propeller Head

Post by helseykc »

Thanks Nick - I'm looking at the variables tab and I see "Edit Set". If I edit that set surely I edit it for every target? Are you suggesting editing the target each time you build it?
nickatwork
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by nickatwork »

Nope. dont use Edit List, that will edit the global list.
In that Variable tab, you just need to double click your mouse in the Definition column for the variable you want to change and type what you need.
This will change the variable for this target only. Not for the global list. It means you can have the same variables set for your project, but each one can be defined at target level to be different from the default/global setting.

Flare doesnt make it very clear from the UI that you can do this.
Last edited by nickatwork on Thu May 05, 2011 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
nickatwork
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by nickatwork »

helseykc wrote:Ah yes, I've found a previous post I submitted, similar kind of problem: http://forums.madcapsoftware.com/viewto ... =9&t=12712 in which I wanted to set a window title in a skin. I want to reuse my skins though so setting the window title (caption) in the master skin is results in the same window title for every project in which the skin is used... I had suggested a project level window title, but makes more sense for it to be set at target level - as granular as possible to make things more reusable!
If you are looking to use a variable for a skin in the window name, im guessing online help, then I dont think its possible. The only way I can see to do it is to create multiple Captions in the Skin file, and then select the one you need at the time of building, this wont really be an option if you are doing bulk builds though.