Folder vs. Topic Condition Tags

This forum is for Single-Sourcing your Flare content to multiple outputs.
whsnow
Jr. Propeller Head

Folder vs. Topic Condition Tags

Post by whsnow »

I'm trying to figure out the relationship between folder level and topic level condition tags. Does a folder level tag override any topic level conditionals? Or is it possible to override folder level conditional tags at the topic level?
Thanks.
ajturnersurrey
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Folder vs. Topic Condition Tags

Post by ajturnersurrey »

My experience has been that folder conditionals override topic ones, equally in a TOC conditions applying to a book override those applying to topics within the book. These things have caused me to revisit the structuring of my topics in recent weeks!
i-tietz
Propellus Maximus

Re: Folder vs. Topic Condition Tags

Post by i-tietz »

The rule is: INclude always overrules EXclude. Means:

Folder F has condition X. Topic T is in folder F and has condition Y. Then topic T actually has both conditions:
- If in the target you include condition X and exclude condition Y, topic T is part of the build, because it has the condition X via the folder.
- If in the target you include condition Y and exclude condition X, topic T is also part of the build, because it has the condition Y.

But for conditional text that logic does not apply - if a topic is excluded via folder condition or topic condition, the condition of the text inside the topic is completely irrelevant.

To understand that logic was difficult for me too ...
Inge____________________________
"I need input! - Have you got input?"