Unused images

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
benjimenez
Propeller Head

Unused images

Post by benjimenez »

I would like to know of any shortcuts for identifying unused images in a project and then marking them with conditions or removing them.

I used Analyzer to report the unused images, but so far, I can only think of selecting each image one by one based on the report.

Thanks for any help!
lacastle
Propellus Maximus

Re: Unused images

Post by lacastle »

You can use the Link Viewer window to see if individual images are used in any topics.
http://webhelp.madcapsoftware.com/flare ... _Links.htm

I also thought you could open the File List (ctrl+shift+J) and filter by images, and then look for a column that shows where the file is located, but it doesn't look like that's possible. (although it is a good idea and i/we should probably submit an enhancement request - https://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx )

i've used the first method to delete unused images before.
benjimenez
Propeller Head

Post by benjimenez »

Thank you @lacastle for your reply. I did identify the unused images via Analyzer, but it would be nice if the Analyzer results were some how interactive (not just a report), to which I could somehow automatically add conditions to the resulting files or even remove those identified files via Analzyer. Maybe this is a good feature request if it's not available now.
MinnesotaCory
Propeller Head

Post by MinnesotaCory »

Inside Analyzer, double-click on "Unused Content Files" in the Analyzer Summary. Inside the "Unused Items" window there is a red 'X' to delete the unused files you have selected. The checkbox icon selects all visible rows.
A good feature request would be to allow the user to apply conditions instead of just deleting the files.
If you plan to communicate you must prepare to be misunderstood or ignored.
benjimenez
Propeller Head

Post by benjimenez »

@MinnesotaCory nice tip! Thanks and I agree about your comment about adding conditions as another option to deleting the files.
Sharpras
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Sharpras »

Is there a way to globally deleted UNUSED image short of purchasing Analyzer?
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

There's an option in the skin to delete unused images in the skin, so you can cut down the size of the generated output a bit that way.

The built-in version of Analyzer that's in Flare might have a report you can run that can at least identify which images are unused, although I'm not entirely positive about that. Easy enough to check -- create a report (Project Organizer pane) and see if there's an option for identifying unused images. If it does generate the report, then you'd have to manually delete the image files, but at least you'd have a list. Hopefully that's not a report that needs the full version of Analyzer.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
Sharpras
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Sharpras »

Thanks, Lisa. I have generated the Unused Images report.
(I have about 140 unused images spread among three different folders and the report lists them alphbetically; not by folder.)
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

Sharpras wrote:(I have about 140 unused images spread among three different folders and the report lists them alphbetically; not by folder.)
If you have the list, then you can switch the Content Explorer pane to the File List view and filter it by image file types. I think the list defaults to sorting alphabetically; if not, you can change it to sort that way. Then you can select multiple images and delete them all at once.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.