Must pics be on server for reviewers to see them in topics?

This Forum for all general issues about Contributor
berniexmeyer
Propeller Head

Must pics be on server for reviewers to see them in topics?

Post by berniexmeyer »

Hi. I am evaluating Contributor v3. Looks promising, but one question I cannot find addressed in their documentation is this: if topics contain referenced resources, such as images, snippets, and style-sheets for that matter, must those resources be referenced from a shared server (rather than my local PC) in order for reviewers to see them in the topics? And if that is so, are there any specifics about how reviewers must map to the shared server in order for the links to work?
====
A little experimentation answered this, but I thought I'd leave my post in case it is of interest to anyone else, or in case anyone wants to add info on this:

When you create a review package in Flare, it makes unlinked copies of pictures and snippets in the review topic (not sure what it does about the style sheet, though). A contributor-reviewer can delete a picture from the topic (but can't insert a new one). The relative PATH to the picture's source folder is maintained and can be viewed if you hover over a pic, but you can't open the source image from there. As for snippets, a "copy" of them is also created in the review topic, and the reviewer can see the relative path, but cannot open it. Also, the reviewer can delete the snippet as a whole, but cannot modify or annotate items within the snippet.

- Bernie Meyer
stephgl
Propeller Head

Re: Must pics be on server for reviewers to see them in topics?

Post by stephgl »

Thanks so much for reporting your findings, Bernie! I am evaluating Conributor right now as well.

I'm actually taken aback that there is no way to comment on a snippet, or include a snippet with a review package. That's what brought me to this forum today.

We use snippets extensively. In fact, I have a topic open in Contributor right now that is composed of just the H1 title and a series of snippets. Contributor can't do much with this at all. Not sure this will work for us.

-Steph
-stephgl