surrogate pair error

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
KateAZ
Propeller Head

surrogate pair error

Post by KateAZ »

There is a surrogate pair compile error but I did not find an error in the code. I checked the code with a 3rd party error checker and only got an error for the upper case used in "MadCap".

I initially added this query to another post where this bug was identified in 2008:
http://forums.madcapsoftware.com/viewto ... =13&t=6442

Since this persisted as a bug when generating WebHelp, I am posting here as well.

Thank you for any suggestions.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
KateAZ
Propeller Head

Re: surrogate pair error

Post by KateAZ »

In a bulleted list created through Flare, there were boxes in the code for the bullets. I deleted those and the WebHelp compiles.
laurieschu
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by laurieschu »

Hi. I'm experiencing the same frustrating error. How did you find the offending characters please? I have thousands of pages, I've tried doing some code cleaning but no luck so far.
KateAZ
Propeller Head

Post by KateAZ »

I had to look in every single topic with this error, find the bulleted list and change the list. It was very time consuming. I'm doing an import of a 1500 page FrameMaker book set. I've estimated about 300 hours to complete the formatting issues. The numbered lists couldn't be mapped, since there are paragraphs and nested lists. The conditional tagging that came across was dicy.

I don't know if there is a way to globally change the symbol. You could find one string of the offending symbol then globally search and replace it in a test project using a product like FAR. It wouldn't hurt and may save some time.

Good luck!
taracoulson
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by taracoulson »

Hi KateAZ - thank you so much for documenting your experience with this error. I am suddenly having the same problem after two years of successfully generating WebHelp from my project. I'm trying to track down the issue now and am having a very hard time. Most frustrating is that MadCap's customer support cannot reproduce my problem! :x Did you find the file that was processing just before the error occurred to be the problem or was it some other file in your project? I did a search for the <li> tag and have so many it's unrealistic to go topic by topic trying to hunt this down. I'm just looking for a place to start.

Thank you for any help or information you can provide me!
Tara