Index keywords in Word output

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
JenShumate
Propeller Head

Index keywords in Word output

Post by JenShumate »

I've created several index keywords using the method where you drag the keyword from the Index window to the correct spot in the topic. When I generate the online output, everything works fine. However, when I generate the Word output, the text { XE "keyword" } is inserted at every point that I inserted a keyword. Is there any way to stop it from doing this? As a test, I also generated my output in PDF format - everything looked normal, no "{ XE } " nonsense. I'm okay with using PDF output if I need to, but I'll have to tinker with styles a bit to get everything to look right, and I don't really have time for that right now.
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Index keywords in Word output

Post by Nita Beck »

The "nonsense" you're seeing is a function of Word, not of Flare. My guess is that Word is set to show hidden text. In Word, open the Options window (non-ribbon-ese is Tools > Options) and look around on the View tab. You'll probably see that, under Formatting Marks, either the All check box and/or the Hidden text check box is selected.

Hope this helps.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
JenShumate
Propeller Head

Post by JenShumate »

Thank you so much! That is exactly what the problem was. I feel silly for not thinking of it! At least now I can stop banging my head against the keyboard.
DocuWil
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by DocuWil »

Nita Beck wrote:The "nonsense" you're seeing is a function of Word, not of Flare.
That is not quite true.
I am still working with Word 2007 and before I start generating the output I checked the display options in word and the check box 'hidden text' was cleared.
But as soon as I generate the output and ceck it again in the Word output it is set again.
Ergo, Flare makes the change and it is very irritating.
Wil Veenstra

Documentation and Training Centre
Infologic Nederland
(Using Flare 11.1.2, Capture 7.0.0 and Mimic 7.0.0 in Windows 10 64-bit)
spordelia
Propeller Head

Post by spordelia »

I know this is an old thread, but I am still encountering this issue today. Has anyone found a solution to get Flare to stop re-selecting the option to show hidden text in Word?
wclass
Propellus Maximus

Post by wclass »

You can't blame Flare for this one - it is a setting at the Word application level, not at the document level that Flare creates.
Several settings can trigger what shows. Index entries are created as hidden text fields. If you have Hidden Text checked in the options then they will always show up. If you toggle "Show/Hide Marks..." they will also show up - even if the box here is cleared.

I find that if I toggle to Show markers and close out of Word then it will remember this setting no matter what document I open up next time. If I close Word with Hide markers toggled, Word will usually remember this setting, but if I open a document with hidden text, it automatically toggles back to showing the markers.
I usually have all these marks cleared and then toggle them on and off using the Show/Hide mark (backwards P) as needed.
The keyboard shortcut to do this is Ctrl-Shift-8.

EDIT: meant to add - other add-ins, like the PDF add-in, can affect the settings in Word.
wrd-opt-marks.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Margaret Hassall - Melbourne
spordelia
Propeller Head

Post by spordelia »

The Show/Hide markers toggle is always off and is not relevant to this issue.

The issue is that the "Always show these formatting marks on the screen" checkboxes are all cleared in Word, but then when I generate a Word target in Flare and open the doc, the "Hidden Text" checkbox will be selected. If I clear the checkbox and save the document, the setting is still cleared the next time I open the doc, as I would expect. But if I re-generate the Word target in Flare, the checkbox is selected again the next time the doc is opened.

This also doesn't happen with every target that has markers, only a select few. The target settings are all the same, so there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to when it happens or when it doesn't. Trying to figure out if anyone knows why this is happening. As Wil mentioned above, it would appear that it is Flare making the change every time the target is built.
telmaiara
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by telmaiara »

I recently had this issue and I solved it by setting "display: none" in print medium for MadCap | keyword, in the stylesheet.

In the text editor, I see:

Code: Select all

MadCap|keyword
	{
		display: none;
	}
I hope this helps.