Capturing a movie from software on another server

This Forum is for General Issues about Mimic
mer
Propeller Head

Capturing a movie from software on another server

Post by mer »

I am trying to create a movie of a piece of software that is running on another server. I cannot install this software on my local drive because it uses the Microsoft SQL Server 2005 database that doesn't play nice with the database that Flare uses.

I am using Remote Desktop to connect to the server. I can reduce the size of the Remote Desktop window so that I can can see Mimic and click Record. However, the the only choice I have is to record the whole Windows server window, and it seems that there is no way to crop the results down to the size of the application window.

Does anyone have an idea, or is this something I should report to the MadCap support people?

Thanks,
Mardi
MER
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Capturing a movie from software on another server

Post by RamonS »

I ran SQL2005 and Flare side by side no problem. Flare uses SQL Compact and SQL 2005 does not interfere with that, definitely not when you install a named instance.
You should be able to set the recording frame size as you wish, so I wonder why it is only possible to capture the entire terminal services window.
One option would be to install Mimic on the server temporarily.
mer
Propeller Head

Post by mer »

Ramon,

Thanks for the suggestions.

In order to install Mimic on the server, do I have to uninstall it from my local drive?

Thanks,
Mardi
MER
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

No, you can install Mimic on multiple systems, but are only allowed to use it on one system at any given time. The licenses are single-user multi-seat.
mer
Propeller Head

Post by mer »

Thanks, Ramon. This seems to be my best option right now. When I have more time, I'll see if I can trouble should the database conflict.
Mardi
MER