FM 10 output from Flare 7.2.0

This forum is for Single-Sourcing your Flare content to multiple outputs.
scottpfen
Propeller Head

FM 10 output from Flare 7.2.0

Post by scottpfen »

For the first time since installing FM 10 on a new 64-bit machine, I had a problem generating FrameMaker output with Flare 7.2. Typically I generate two manuals with more than a dozen chapters apiece, with graphics, TOCS, indices, and hyperlinks. This was done with FM 9 and (I believe) Flare 6 last year.

Instead, I get the following error message:

"Failed to run command 'Build'.

Exception:
Failed to update FrameMaker init file (C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\AdobeFrameMaker10\maker.ini).

You need Administrator rights to update the FrameMaker Install Folder."

Has anyone run across this problem before? (So far I've contacted Adobe support to schedule a telephone call.)
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: FM 10 output from Flare 7.2.0

Post by RamonS »

Well, do you have sufficient rights to change the ini file?
scottpfen
Propeller Head

Post by scottpfen »

Ramon:

I can get administrative rights from IT, if that's the issue.

But assuming that I have these rights, exactly what must be changed in that maker.ini file?

Or is this simply a question fo Adobe?
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

Not sure what changes Flare needs to make to the ini file, but the error message contains this line:
You need Administrator rights to update the FrameMaker Install Folder.
Unless the error message text is just bupkis (happens with error message more often than necessary) the missing rights are the problem.
johnsonla
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by johnsonla »

Wondering if anyone has followup or additional ideas on this issue? I am having the same problem - and I just had IT grant me full admin rights to everything in the Adobe program files. I'm getting both "Failed to run command 'Publish' " and "Failed to run command 'Build' " errors, each stating "Exception: Failed to update FrameMaker init file (C:\ProgramFiles(x86)\Adobe\AdobeFrameMaker10\maker.ini). You need Administrator rights to update the FrameMaker Install Folder"
rob hollinger
Propellus Maximus

Post by rob hollinger »

johnsonla wrote:Wondering if anyone has followup or additional ideas on this issue? I am having the same problem - and I just had IT grant me full admin rights to everything in the Adobe program files. I'm getting both "Failed to run command 'Publish' " and "Failed to run command 'Build' " errors, each stating "Exception: Failed to update FrameMaker init file (C:\ProgramFiles(x86)\Adobe\AdobeFrameMaker10\maker.ini). You need Administrator rights to update the FrameMaker Install Folder"
I was doing some clean up when I came across this and it doesnt look like it was answered.

Locate the Flare.exe in the Flare install folder.
Right click on it and choose 'Run as Administrator'.
Then Import a FM file or build.
At this time, Flare should be able to update the Frame.ini file and add the entry it needs.

UAC is preventing Flare from being able to update the ini file. Its not your user permissions at fault here.

If you continue to experience this, you can edit the ini file yourself.
Locate it and open it in Notepad.
Locate the section called [APIClients]. It will look like this:
[APIClients]
;------------------------------ API Clients ------------------------------

At the bottom of this section add the following line:
MadCapFlare=Standard,MadCapFlare Plugin,C:\Program Files (x86)\MadCap Software\MadCap Flare V7\Flare.app\Resources\Bin\MCFramePlugin.dll,all

Save and close the file.
Rob Hollinger
MadCap Software