single source - multiple languages

This forum is for Single-Sourcing your Flare content to multiple outputs.
mitches
Propeller Head

single source - multiple languages

Post by mitches »

We are moving to multiple languages for our help products. We currently have the online help and the Word output for each product. The initial release needs to have a few sections in Hangul. My first assumption was that we need to use Lingo; however, after reading about it. I'm not sure it is needed.

Can it be handled just by adding new TOCs and targets that have the new Hangul files instead of the English for about a dozen or more sections? It seems like this would be easiest for this first time; however, I'm not sure it's a good idea for the longer term goal of multiple languages and more/all of the help content.

If we go to multiple languages and have the entire output translated, does this mean they should be separate projects? One of our projects is already extremely large. I don't think we want to duplicate all of the files in other languages and keep them all in a single project. Do I?
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: single source - multiple languages

Post by RamonS »

For a few sections and one other language you are right, using conditions will work out fine. Once you go to multiple languages and full translations the danger is too big that you lose track of conditions being applied correctly, which will get 'foreign content' to go into the output. With lingo you create separate projects and track the changes to be translated better. Keeping the translations in separate projects just makes it easier to separate them and it will keep each project roughly the same size rather than having one humongous monster project.