inline glossary without footnotes in print?

This forum is for all Flare issues related to styles, stylesheets and XML.
mattf
Sr. Propeller Head

inline glossary without footnotes in print?

Post by mattf »

I like the inline glossary (Glossary Term Links) for my webhelp but it automatically creates footnotes in the PDF output, which no me gusta. Is there a way to use the Glossary Term Links for webhelp but the Glossary Proxy in Print? I don't see an obvious way to make that happen. I can't figure out how to turn the printed footnotes "off". Can someone enlighten me? Thanks,
-mdf
Matt F
You learn something new every day if you're not careful.
DocuWil
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: inline glossary without footnotes in print?

Post by DocuWil »

Hi Matt,

I gave the Glossary Term Link a condition "Screen only" and created a Glossary proxy with the condition "Print only".
I tested it (WebHelp as well as PDF) and no footnotes appear.

I hope it helps for you (maybe I did not understand your question or you overlooked something because I think you are an experienced user).
Success!
Wil Veenstra

Documentation and Training Centre
Infologic Nederland
(Using Flare 11.1.2, Capture 7.0.0 and Mimic 7.0.0 in Windows 10 64-bit)
mattf
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by mattf »

DocuWil,
I am an experienced user, but sometimes I want to do something new in Flare and my brain just shuts off. Actually, my brain wore out while I was trying to figure out how to style the footnotes (none of the styles I edited had any effect), until I gave up and decided I didn't want footnotes anyway.

I use conditions regularly, just didn't think of it in this case. It sounds like the perfect solution. Thanks!
Matt F
scott
Propeller Head

Post by scott »

Hi Matt,
I think the glossary popups are really useful, and I have a few tips that might help in your project.

You don't have to manually add the glossary popups/footnotes. You can also use the "Convert first occurrence of term" option on the Glossary tab in a target to have Flare automatically add glossary popups/footnotes. That option will add one popup / term / topic. just remember it's case sensitive. Flare will only create a popup/footnote if the case in the topic matches the case in the glossary. For example, a glossary term of "Flare" would only match a capitalized "Flare" in a topic.

If you have manually added glossary links, you can just select "Do not convert terms" to prevent them from appearing in your print target (or any target).

Some content, like heading 1s, looks weird with popups/footnotes. There is a style named mc-disable-glossary-terms that will prevent Flare from creating popups/footnotes. You can set it to "true" for any content that should not have the links. For example, you might not like them in notes or warnings.

hope this helps,
.scott
Last edited by scott on Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scott DeLoach
Certified Flare trainer/consultant - http://www.clickstart.net
* MadCap Flare: The Definitive Guide
* CSS to the Point
* HTML5 to the Point
https://bit.ly/2LQN11O

scott@clickstart.net
Certified MAD for Flare
mattf
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by mattf »

Scott,
Thanks for this. I think it's pretty much exactly what I wanted to do earlier. I'll give it a spin and report back. I had no idea about the "do not convert" setting. That's what I was looking for.
-Matt
Matt F