Sharepoint - Rollback files to previous versions?

This forum is for all Flare issues related to using Source Control.
nickatwork
Sr. Propeller Head

Sharepoint - Rollback files to previous versions?

Post by nickatwork »

Hi all,
Sharepoint is available but I am not using it at the moment. I'm the only author here so source control hasn't been a priority, I run manual back ups and look after that stuff myself.

However, we recently had a large release pulled and changes that I had made as part of it needed to be backed out of the help. This meant a bit more work than just restoring an entire back up of my project as this release had gone on for quite sometime so I had made other changes and corrections to various other topics within Flare that shouldn't be removed.

So, I'm wondering, would Sharepoint help with something like this? Could I look at a particular topic or file and skip back through the 'versions' of it that have been checked in and out or modified? Sort of like undo really.
I've had a read over the Flare help but there is nothing about this there so I don't even know if it's possible.

Thanks,
Nick.
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Sharepoint - Rollback files to previous versions?

Post by RamonS »

SharePoint doesn't do branching (as far as I know). You want some source control that supports branching. That way you can keep individual branches for each release and easily go back or roll back changes. The downside to this is that if you need to maintain multiple branches you need to do fixes in all of them, but this can be compensated by clever checkouts / checkins and copying.
Of course, you can do a poor man's branching in SharePoint by submitting multiple copies of the project, but you can do that on a network share that gets backed up without the overhead and slowness of SharePoint. In any case, keep making your own backups and make backups of those backups and keep them off site. Always keep in mind how much work it will be to redo everything. So some degree of paranoia is highly recommended.