Sending/Packaging New Files to Translator

This Forum is for general issues about MadCap Lingo
sashaeskie
Propeller Head

Sending/Packaging New Files to Translator

Post by sashaeskie »

Here is the scenario that I need assistance with. The tech writer (me) is using Lingo 5 (I also have Lingo 6, but the translator only has Lingo 5). The help content was translated into Chinese earlier this year (I simply gave the translator my Lingo project). I now have several net new files that need to be translated. How do I "package" those new files? Do I just zip them up and send them to the translator? If so, how does the translator get these new files into the existing Lingo project?

The second issue I face is that the translator does not want to use Lingo. She doesn't like it. What are our alternatives? She does not use Trados or any of the other tools out there. My guess is she would prefer to use Word but that raises problems for me because of all the tags and snippets that are already embedded in the source files. She could use Notepad++ but again, she has to make sure that the tags are in the right place. I don't think Lingo is easy to use despite the sales pitch from Madcap.

I would appreciate anyone's advice or help in one or both of these issues! Thanks in advance.
sashaeskie
Propeller Head

Re: Sending/Packaging New Files to Translator

Post by sashaeskie »

Here's a reply I received from MadCap via Feedback Server:
"The translator must save the ZIP file to their computer and then select Merge Completed Bundle in the local toolbar of the File List. The files in the zipped project appear in the File List. They can select File>Update Project to scan the files and update the project accordingly. See Merging Completed Bundles and Updating Projects in the Lingo Help."
techwriter31
Propellus Maximus

Re: Sending/Packaging New Files to Translator

Post by techwriter31 »

The second issue I face is that the translator does not want to use Lingo. She doesn't like it. What are our alternatives?
Maybe OmegaT? It's free.
Kellie