Tagging UI elements

This Forum is for general issues about MadCap Lingo
fchan
Propeller Head

Tagging UI elements

Post by fchan »

We might use Lingo to package the Flare files so that translators can use their own software to translate the files. In order for them to translate screen messages, window names, and any UI elements in the same way as they translate the actual UI, they request that these elements in the Flare files be tagged as UI elements. This would alert them to the fact that the translation of the UI elements in the documentation is consistent with the translation of the UI itself in the software.

How do I tag the UI elements in Flare? Even if I use paragraph tags to identify the UI elements, the xml code will be stripped when Lingo packages the Flare files, if I understand correctly. How would the translator see the tags?

Thanks.
techwriter31
Propellus Maximus

Re: Tagging UI elements

Post by techwriter31 »

We currently use Lingo, mainly to store our TMX databases and for some in-house translations. (We would use it more frequently, but our in-house translators have found Lingo's ability to "diff" files and accurately report whether something has changed to not be 100% accurate.)

Unless you need Lingo for a purpose other than packaging the files, I would recommend either sending the vendor the entire Flare project, or the individual files. If sending the entire project, you may need to specify that the translation vendor build the output before delivering, because we often encounter entity errors or errors due to TRADOS tags.

Regarding tagging the UI elements, my first guess would be conditional tags because in the source code, the tags would surround whatever element has been tagged. However, the best thing would be to ask the vendor for more information.
Kellie
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

It might be that they'd like you to wrap the UI elements in a named span class instead of in, say, bold tags (<b>). For example, you might add a span class "UIElement", so in the code, the translators would see something like this:

Code: Select all

<p>Click <span="UIElement">OK</span>.</p>
Instead of:

Code: Select all

<p>Click <b>OK</b>.</p>
That use of span.UIElement might be enough for them to make the connection with the translated the UI strings.

In any case, Kellie's point is a good one: Ask your translation vendor for more direction.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
fchan
Propeller Head

Post by fchan »

Thank you Nita. I thought of span as well but wouldn't Lingo strip all the xml tagging info before packaging the Flare files for the translator? If so, the translator would only see the text that needs translation, not the tag names, right?

Thanks!
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

I don't think that's what Lingo does, but I've not yet packaged one of my Flare projects with Lingo to send for translation. Again, I suggest that you ask the vendor what they mean by "tagging the UI elements."

When in doubt, check it out!
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!